Why I Became A Communication Studies Major

My reasons for choosing communications as my field of study.

75
pmmajik.com

Picking a major. Something every college student has to decide at some point during their pursuit of a higher education. Whether someone knows what they want to do or are still figuring it out, there is always time to decide. For me, I decided my major after some critical thinking and really asking myself as to what I honestly wanted to do for the rest of my life. What I found was that major two reasons had impacted me in picking this major.

The first being that I am using it as support for when I (hopefully) get into the field of journalism. Knowing how to communicate and how us, as human beings communicate will allow me to be able to really get the information that the public needs to know. Whether it is breaking news or the best new recipe for chocolate chip pancakes. Either way, I'll know how to effectively communicate with my audience in a proper way.

The other reason that I choose this major is because I consider myself to be an introvert as well as socially awkward. I've never been one to start a conversation. At one point when I was little, I couldn't even make a phone call because I was scared of just actually talking to someone on the other end of the line. By making this my major and studying communication, I have personally challenged myself to grow as an individual and be able to communicate in a social and professional setting with ease, or at least something that is above average. I know that I will be able to break out of my shell, but things like this take practice, which I am more than ready to face head on.

As I entered my first semester of college, I took the first class toward my major. It was a classic intro course that went over the general concepts that a student needed to know and allowed students to practice their public speaking skills. Through my time in this course, I was able to start to begin to accomplish my second goal. Through each speech that I gave I was able to see my flaws and mistakes and work on them to make them better, along with improving the strengths that I already had.

I know it is just the beginning, but as I progress onward into the rest of my college career, I am certain that I will improve and be able to do the job that I have always wanted to do, knowing that I got there through hard work and my own determination.