Why Bananas Are The Bomb

Why Bananas Are The Bomb

Gwen Stefani had it right.
35

Let's start by stating the obvious: bananas contain high amounts of vitamins and minerals, which provide many health benefits. They are high in potassium, which lowers blood pressure and protects against heart attacks and strokes. They contain high levels of vitamin B-6, which helps regulate blood sugar and prevent type II diabetes. They are also known for relieving cramps and PMS symptoms. They aid in digestion, are high in fiber, are a natural antacid, and coat the lining of the stomach to protect against ulcers and other harmful acids. There are many other benefits that I won't continue to bore you with, but if you are interested, look them up! You may be surprised. Anyways, its definitely a good thing to get into the habit now as young adults, to include this fruit in as many of your meals as possible. Moderately priced and available all season, these are an easy fit into a college student's diet! And if you want to buy them in bulk they also freeze well and work great frozen in smoothies and ice creams!

Now, I'm going to mention some simple things that I do with bananas, before I get into the recipes. For me, a quick and simple dessert is made by just peeling a banana, placing on a plate, smothering that plate in chocolate syrup, and letting it freeze for about 4 hours. I know at home my mom puts sticks in the bananas to make fun chocolate banana popsicles.

Something else quick and easy is, instead of jelly, use bananas in peanut butter sandwiches. The two flavors pair so well together, plus it reminds me of being a kid, so that's always fun.

Now on to some more interesting recipes. I'm just going to list out the ingredients for you guys, that way you know what to anticipate buying at the store, or for most of these, you will already have all the items. I encourage you to look up the actual recipes on your own because there are literally a million at your disposal.

Bananas Foster

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter

2 bananas, sliced

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 scoops vanilla ice cream

(Traditionally includes rum, but I figured for our beginner session here we could exclude that. I don't encourage cooking with anything that can cause a flame in a college kitchen).

Banana Bread

Ingredients:

2 bananas

1/3 cup melted butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 cup flour

Again, this recipe is super simple. You probably already have these ingredients in your cabinet.

Banana Pancakes

Ingredients:

Bananas

Eggs

No really, that's it. Awesome right?

Banana Ice Cream

Ingredients:

Bananas

That is literally all you need. Cut them, freeze them, and then blend them in a food processor and they have an ice cream texture. It's actually magic. Then just add whatever toppings or mix-ins you want. Totally guilt free.

But seriously guys, there is so much more. Bananas can be used in smoothies, cookies, cakes, you can literally put them in anything so do it. Because they taste great.