Why Ban 'Beauty And The Beast' Because Of One Character?

A response to the Alabama theater that banned the move for its one homosexual character

12
Comingsoon.net

Okay, I'll be the first to admit it, I am not the biggest fan of film remakes. I believe that, while there is a certain level of ingenuity that goes into them, remakes are rather lazy in their production. I mean this because the director or script writer doesn't really have to come up with an original plot: the story is already written for them. Now, I am not saying that every remake is terrible. I have enjoyed seeing some remakes, especially the ones that went from sunny and bright animations to dark yet whimsical.

That being said, I am looking forward to the live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast. I grew up with the first movies and I am curious to see how it will transfer into a live action. However, when I see people that degrade and ridicule this movie for something as inconsequential as having one homosexual/bisexual character to the point where they get a theater to ban it, it annoys me to no end.

As I said, I am not the biggest fan of remakes, but this is because I find most of the plots and dramatic elements rip-offs of the original film. To attack a movie because it wanted to be progressive and add a character that is homosexual is just disgusting. First of all, it is one character (LeFou, who is played by Josh Gad) and that character is not even a major character. While not a completely flat character, LeFou does not play a big role in the film. After all, it is called Beauty and the Beast, not Beauty and the Beast and LeFou.

Another thing, what kind of homophobic person would go as far as to ban an entire movie because of one character? If you do not like the idea of a director being progressive and including some diversity in their film, then do not watch it. There are other people who want to see it and you have no right to force your ideals onto others. That is called imperialism and, as a progressive society, I had hoped that America would not do this kind of thing to its own people.

So I say to you, Christian-theater owner in Henagar, Alabama, do not force your own ideals onto others. You are supposed to be Christian, someone who is supposed to be accepting of others. I come from a Christian family myself, and I know that such blatant hatred to those you view as different is frowned upon. If you have a problem with homosexuality then that is your problem, not the problem of those who go to your establishment for their own enjoyment. Be Christian, and a professional, and keep your own views out of your work.