Why Are You Waiting For A New Year To Make A Change?

Enough with that "New Year, New Me" nonsense.

191
PHDPlayZ

It’s happening. The trend we all dread so very much.

It begins on December 31st around 1 PM, when people begin to realize that this year is coming to an end and a new one is just a few hours away. So what do people do? They begin to write their sentimental AND inspirational “Goodbye X Year” posts on Facebook. You begin to see phrases like “I am so grateful for all of the lessons,” and “Can’t wait to see what the new year may bring!” storm through your Facebook timeline. You’ve seen so many, that you can almost word for word predict what the next one is going to say. Then you begin yourself to contemplate writing one. You may give in. I’ll forgive you.

And as the ball drops and you’re knee deep in champagne, you begin the first day of the new year (hopefully) in your bed once again scrolling through social media. Except today’s feed is different. What am I talking about?

You check to Snapchat to see everyone and their mother at the gym grinding because it is “Day 1 of 365”. Instagram is flooded with photos captioned, “New Year, New Me!”. Facebook stacked with changes in relationship statuses, jobs, and some people even moving. You wonder how all this change is happening while you’re still getting over your hangover, but the phrase trickles in your mind: “New Year, New Me!”.

Hear me out, I think that setting new goals or making new life changes for the new year is a phenomenal thing. It can really jumpstart your year into a new mindset and even lifestyle.

But here is my concern: Why are we waiting for the clock to strike midnight to make these changes that we want in ourselves?

Why does the new year have to be the starting page of our own new chapter? What is the difference between beginning something that will ultimately make you happy in the middle of July versus starting on January 1st?

Perhaps it's the incentive of becoming a part of something. Being able to dig into that “Well, everyone else is doing it!” mindset.

But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a new years resolution anyway? Starting something new or experiencing a new lifestyle change just because everyone else is doing it?

Maybe we need to go into this new year with an even different mindset than that: the reality that it could be January 1st or November 1st, and if there is a goal or change you want to make, DO IT.

That’s what we need to understand. It doesn’t take the changing of a calendar page or enough bottles of champagne on New Year's Eve to make the change. It begins with you, at any time during the year!

Does this mean we discriminate others who began their resolutions or changes on January 1st? Absolutely not. Maybe that was the starting point for them. But regardless, it doesn’t matter what other people are doing, it matters what YOU are doing.

So now that the New Year's day hype has passed and perhaps you haven’t set a goal or wanted to make a change, it isn’t too late!

You got this!

Remember, don’t check the date on the calendar to determine whether or not it’s time to make a change or start a new beginning. Fight for your dreams TODAY!

It doesn't have to be a new years resolution, as long as it's a new YOU resolution.

Good luck.