Why Are People So Rude?

Why Are People So Rude?

Because now we only think about ourselves.
651

Today's mannerisms are a lost cause. Communication is dead nowadays and I know that. But I can't blame people's rudeness on that because I think they are two separate things. People simply don't care about others because in today's society it's all about you.

Over the past two weeks I don't know if I got struck by bad luck, or if people are just straight up A-holes. On a Thursday night, I went into the AT&T store to get a new phone. There was no one in the store except for my mom and I and then the two employees. It was very obvious that employee A (calling out names, Ed) thought he was superior to employee B. He was rude not only to his co-worker but also to me.

The next day I went to a different AT&T store because who wants to deal with Ed? Not me. I walked in, a lady greets me and helps me get what I need. She told me to wait, so naturally I'm just looking around the store wishing I had nine figures to my name so I could have an iPhone without a case and not worry about shattering it. About two seconds later an older man walks in with guns blazing. Basically, he updated his phone and it completely shut down. Instead of asking about his options for a fix or replacement he starts yelling at this employee - who clearly has nothing to do with his phone issue. He had no understanding of iPhones or iTunes or anything really. But instead of trying to understand it all, he took it upon himself to belittle her and her advice. Unfortunately, she started crying and went to get the manager.

Fast forward a week. My mom, nephew and I were standing line at McDonald's to get drinks. Shocker huh? The line was long and the cashier had just messed up someone's order. She kind of laughed it off and said, "It's Labor Day, we're having fun, ya'll!" There was a lady and her son in front of us. The mom shook her head, rolled her eyes and said, "Too bad it's Memorial Day." It was then their turn to order. The cashier once again kept messing up their order. She clearly didn't have proper training, and she was the only one working up front with a huge line, so I'm sure she was also nervous/in a hurry. The mom turned around and looked at me, rolled her eyes and said, "sorry".

Typically I'm overly nice to people I don't know, but not that day. I literally just starred at her and then looked away without saying anything.

But then it made me think. Where are people's manners. Why aren't people nice anymore? By huffing and puffing and rolling her eyes, what kind of example was that lady setting for my four-year-old nephew who notices EVERYTHING? What happened to people saying 'please' and 'thank you'? Or holding the doors for others, or simply asking people how their day is. No one looks each other in the eyes anymore. Or compliment other people. Why?

People don't think about their body language or how what they are saying may come off rude. People don't think in general. Maybe if people thought more about their words and actions, maybe there wouldn't be so much hate.

You will never regret being kind.