"I Don't Understand Why People are Afraid of Trump's America."
Politics

Here's Your Explanation.

27

I tried avoiding making comments on the events of the recent election, but I finally managed to compose something to express my true feelings. It's been a couple weeks since our country elected Donald J. Trump as our next president, and I needed some time to calm down and form articulate and intelligent thoughts regarding this election. If I had not taken this time to compose myself, this article would be just another angry rant contributing to the constant social media storm raging since the results rolled in.

I keep seeing posts about the election from both Trump and Clinton supporters, as well as the rogue Sanders and Johnson supporters still holding out hope. The posts catching my eye the most are ones questioning why people claim to be terrified or afraid after Trump's election. These posts are what inspired me to write this article because I would like to answer this question.

I saw one post asking why people are afraid of Trump's presidency. It listed things such as racially-motivated violence, terrorism, going broke because of rising health insurance costs, police officer deaths, bullying, government corruption, rape and sexual assault, religious discrimination, sexual orientation, race, etc. After this post listed all of these awful things, it said something along the lines of, "Guess what? All these things are already happening."

The tone of this post seemed to downplay or outright dismiss people's fears because all of these horrible things already happening. It also seemed to ask, "Why should people be more afraid now?", and it then goes on to tell the reader to "quit being scared of everything", "crying about everything", and "getting offended by everything", insinuating anyone emotionally shaken by the election results weren't doing their parts as good Americans. The post ends with "copy & paste if you agree", and then claims all of the things listed above are just common sense. This bothers me on so many levels, so I have something to say.

I have the privilege of an outlet for my thoughts and feelings by writing for this publication. Odyssey encourages us to share our opinions, no matter what side of the fence they fall. Numerous posts exist about how not all Trump supporters are racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, and/or any other negative thing Trump represents. That may be true, but on some level, they are okay with supporting a man who proved many times he is all of those things. (I have a real problem with this, but that's another article for another day.)

The aforementioned post is correct about the fact all of those terrible things already happen in our country and around the world. However, what it gets wrong is people are not afraid of the things already happening; they are afraid of what will happen in Trump's name like it's a stamp of approval. People use his election as an excuse to show their true colors and act in hateful, disgusting ways. You cannot use the excuse "Well, all those things are already happening." You cannot. I will not let you excuse these hateful acts away. The fact awful things happen already does not make it okay, and it sure as hell does not excuse people's behavior now or in the future.

Tensions in this country were high for a very long time, and they are only escalating when lead by Trump's example. He says whatever he feels, wrong or right, and people follow in his footsteps. He gave them the courage to come out of their racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic closets. I witnessed many Trump supporters use the "He isn't afraid to speak his mind or tell it like it is" line as justification to support him. Speaking one's mind is fine, but it isn't an excuse to be blatantly inconsiderate. However, this is much more than just being rude. It is moving people to violence, and that is not okay. It is dangerous.

People vandalize houses, businesses, and places of worship with hate speech, and then they scrawl "Trump" or "Make America Great Again" next to their handy-work like it's a sacrosanct signature. They attack mothers while grocery shopping with their children. They grab women by their hijabs and scream expletives in support of "Trump's America". They yell, "Make America white again!" - a variant of Trump's well-known campaign slogan - while harassing people of color. This is going to get ugly quickly.

Actually, who am I kidding? It's already ugly, and it is only going to get worse. People trying to explain it away doesn't make things better, and bullying, name calling, or rioting in the street - from either side - does no good either. (Before I catch flack for the above mentioned "phobias", it's not really name calling when you present facts.) I would also like to point out I am not condoning rioting or any other destructive practice, but people do have the right to be upset. They have a reason to be afraid. I have a reason to be afraid. We all have reasons to be afraid.

As well, I saw numerous posts by strangers and acquaintances saying they feel victimized simply for being white. Well, I have one thing to say to that, "Welcome to the club." Now, you know how the rest of us feel. People of color and people from other marginalized groups experienced this since America's infancy. We feel this way every single day of our lives. We are made to feel less than human. We feel afraid to be who we are. We feel victimized. We feel threatened. We feel mistreated. We are attacked for wanting basic human rights. We are attacked for daring to exist.

I know people will call me all sorts of nasty things for writing this, and I am not sure how well I will handle it, but I needed to write this. I felt as though I needed to give people a voice.

They'll call me a "liberal whiner". They will attack my skin color and my sexual orientation. They will post comments about "Oh, I have a right to my opinion just like you do", and yes, you do. However, what you do not have is the right to endanger others simply because of your "opinion". That is not how this works.

Have I deleted all Trump supporters from my social media accounts? No, but I deleted the people who were downright hateful. No room exists in my life for hate, and yet, others remain because I value their friendship for other reasons. They remain a part of my social media life because I genuinely believe they personally meant me no ill will, and I agree with the argument not every Trump supporter is a homophobic racist. However, it does bother me these people are capable of overlooking those qualities to support him.

I would also be happy to have an informed, calm, intelligent conversation with anyone who would like to do so. I, however, will not tolerate hate in any form. I understand people voted for him because they were hoping for change. I understand wanting to move away from the political machine many associate with Hillary Clinton, but I do not think this was the appropriate change.

Let me end with this... We are afraid and rightly so. However, I wasn't surprised - as many were - when Trump was elected. In shock, yes. Upset, definitely. But not surprised. Regardless, I will work every day to see this country become what I know it can be. A place where diversity is celebrated - an "America the Great", like we claim to be.

We have a long way to go, America. Good luck.