Why Are My Lips Chapped?

Why Are My Lips Chapped?

The secret behind cracked lips...

139
Why Are My Lips Chapped?
Meredith Flanagan

As the season begins to change and winter approaches, your skin gets paler, hair gets frizzier and lips get drier. Your first assumption as to why this happens is most likely the cold weather; but is that really the case? Most commonly, an individual's lips become chapped due to a change in weather patterns, extreme heat or cold, or excessive licking of the lips. Despite these findings, there has been suggestions and research to believe other causes. Recently, I have been quite interested in conspiracies and quirky facts about the world.

The most recent phenomenon that caught my interest is that of lip balm and chapsticks and why individuals need so much of it. There has been a rumor afloat that high-end brands of lip balm such as Carmex and Chapstick contain small particles of fiberglass that can potentially cause irritation to one's lips. This irritation would then result in a greater need or usage of the product, to potentially fix the problem at hand. One can make a hypothesis that big corporations do this in order to make a larger profit; a greater demand will motivate a larger supply. You see, big corporations such as the Carmex brand are constantly searching for new ways to induce more income from the previous year, it is all about money.

In addition to the fiberglass, there are certain chemicals and compounds that are added to these products that are thought to have additional benefits but are actually not good in large doses. A common ingredient in many lip balms is Salicylic acid, commonly used with an "emollient", which is a soothing substance. Regardless of how charming a great soothing sensation may sound, when the salicylic acid is used without an emollient, one's lips will become dry, cracked and may potentially bleed. Peppermint and cinnamon are also ingredients that someone should avoid when searching for the perfect chapstick; unfortunately, they too can be quite irritating to lip skin. A safe alternative too many chapsticks would be vaseline, with or without cocoa butter.

Give some thought before you put potentially harming products on your precious face.