Why I Am Terrified Of A Trump Presidency
Politics

This doesn't mean I'm overjoyed about a Hillary presidency either.

2
ABC News

I want to begin by saying three things. One, I am extremely skeptical about writing this article because I genuinely try and stay out of blatant political banter. Two, this is not a Pro-Hillary article. I am not about to write an article about why Hillary is amazing, why I want her to be President, or why "I'm with her." Three, I respect all political opinions (although I may not understand them).

Frankly, as soon as I heard Trump was running for President, I laughed it off as I did when Kanye said he was running in 2020. I believe my exact words were, "You have got to be kidding." I have said that so many times since the beginning of the election process that I think it happens just as often as I breathe.

But now as I see that his support is as large as it is now, my question is: are youallkidding me?

Now for my scathing Trump supporters right now, let me take a moment. I, again, am not pro-Hillary. I know she deleted 33,000 emails. I know what happened in Benghazi. These are inexcusable. I would rather neither of these people become President. I truly mean that, but while I am not pro-Hillary, I am anti-hatred, anti-discrimination, anti-violence--all things that Trump has thrown in our faces as things he embodies. I am not with her, but I sure as hell am not with him.

In the last debate, Trump admitted to using a tax break to avoid paying income taxes, and then proceeded to blame Hillary: "She complains that [I] took advantage of the tax code. Well, why didn't she change it? Why didn't you change it when you were a senator?" Clearly, the man running for President has no idea how Congress works. The President has something called a veto power, which can override the Senate and House of Representatives when he or she does not agree with the proposed law. Moreover, one single Senator does not get to write whatever the hell they please into law. A majority must agree. So, technically, no, Donald, Hillary could not have had a free for all when she was a Senator, but we American tax payers love that you tried to blame her because you cheated the system.

Why does a man who is so blatantly racist have this much support? In the last debate, he made two so obviously racist comments I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. This was weeks after two of his supporters beat up a homeless Latino man using Trump's anti-immigration reasoning. Instead of saying, "I don't support violence. This is not what I meant at all. Violence is not the answer," he said, "[my supporters] are very passionate” and “love this country.” That kind of rationale only promotes and furthers violence, it does not hinder it and aid in peace processes. During the debate, James Carter, an African American audience member, asked both candidates if they believed they could be devoted presidents to all people. Trump began by saying, "I'll be a president that will turn our inner cities around." Donald, not all African American people live in inner cities. This is not outright racist. He did not use an derogatory statements towards Mr. Carter, but he clearly has no idea about the makeup of our country. Read a consensus.

Another participant, Gorbah Hamed, a Muslim American, asked what the candidates planned to do about Islamophobia. Trump's response was: "Muslims have to report the problems when they see them."That's what he plans to do about Islamophobia? Grouping ALL Muslims in with the radical terrorists who identify as Muslim? Sounds exactly like how Islamophobia began if you ask me. Also, it's not like you come out of the womb as a Muslim and get put in a f**king GroupMe.

I'm also fearful of a Trump presidency as a member of the LGBT community. Trump has time and time again made it clear that he would appoint a Supreme Court Justice that has similar ideologies to Scalia (the late Justice who strongly opposed gay marriage). He also has met with hundreds of anti-gay leaders, even on the two-month anniversary of the Orlando shooting. To top it all off, his Vice President made it legal in his governing state of Indiana to discriminate against members of the LGBT community. Now, statistically speaking, it is highly unlikely that the SC will ever overturn a previous judgment of theirs, but the fact that it's a possibility is horrifying. Heterosexual people will never understand this fear, whether they support gay marriage or not, because it is a fear they will never have. A Trump presidency would be an enormous step back for us.

Now for everyone's favorite subject: Trump Tapes. The fact that any man is running for President, has the Republican Party nomination, brags about sexual assault, equates it to locker room talk, and then talks about ISIS at the debate rather than that the fact that he bragged about sexual assault is not a man we want running our country. Any man that says that power gives him anything he wants with women and that he can "grab them by the pussy" is not a man we want running the most powerful country in the world. And no, the reason behind it is not because all men have "mothers, sisters, wives, and daughters." The reason is because women are HUMAN BEINGS. They are not things to be grabbed, property to be held, or beings whose desires should be forgotten about/undermined/disregarded because a man said so. I cross the street on my way home if I am alone and see a group of men. I walk with my keys between my knuckles. My dad constantly asks if I have my pepper spray on me when I leave the house. Do we really want a man that promotes the kind of actions that women are brought up fearing, in the White House? Trump went on to say: "I have great respect for women. Nobody has more respect for women than I do."Nobody? He then said, "And women have respect for me." Speak for yourself, Donald. We don't respect you.

Again, I want to make it clear that this article is not a pro-Hillary article. I know everyone has their speculations about her (and downright hatred towards her), and she has done some horrible, inexcusable things. I do not disagree with that; seriously, I would love to go third party on this one, but the polls aren't in our favor this go around. Please realize that we are looking at two candidates, one evoking immense amounts of hatred, discrimination, sexism, and xenophobia, and the other not. Please know that a Trump presidency would be a giant step back for every minority group. He's not going to "Make America Great Again." He's going to make it so much worse, one racial comment, violence promotion, pussy grab at a time.