Why I Chose To Be An English Major

Why I Chose To Be An English Major

It may be an unpopular major to most, but to me, it's the best major I could possibly choose.

26
Why I Chose To Be An English Major
blogs.anselm.edu

No, I am not going to be a teacher. (Thank you for being the 50th person to ask me that.)

I love reading, writing and everything that goes along with it.

Thus, when it became time for me to finally check the box next to which field of study I wanted to be in, I chose English.

Sometimes when I am reading or writing, I just feel at peace. I feel whole, like I am somebody--that my dreams can come true.

I know that majoring in English is very uncommon, especially being in the South- because honestly, nobody really cares about proper grammar (and please don’t get me started on how many funny looks I get when I am sitting outside reading Poe).

In fact, in the entire freshmen class we had two English majors on Orientation Day (including myself).

I embrace this difference. I am proud to say I am an English major.

I am proud to say I spend my Saturday nights reading "The Scarlett Letter" or "Pride and Prejudice".

I have dreams and ambitions, and I love them.

Confucius once said, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

I believe being an English major puts me right on track for that, and I plan to follow that track wherever it may take me.