Why 2016 Was A Great Year For Me

Why 2016 Was A Great Year For Me

17
Why 2016 Was A Great Year For Me
Hutui6

And one worth remembering.

To many people, 2016 is a year best forgotten (one reason in particular!); but for me, this year has been an unforgettable one with memories made. I will always view 2016 as the year of change and challenge for me.

Went To College – Freshman Experience: I enrolled at Stephens College in January and it was the best decision I ever made. Having been out of school for over 12 years (H.S. graduate of 2004 just to give you an idea), I’ve been working since graduation.At 28 years old, living my first college experience was a bit terrifying at first, but one I easily adapted to. I guess in some ways I felt a little out of place due to my age; but I wasn’t about to let it interfere with me pursuing my education and chasing down my dreams. I’m glad I waited to go to college right after high school. At the time I graduated, I was still indecisive about where I wanted to go and what my major would be. Though it took me 12 years to decide, I couldn’t be happier with my college home at Stephens College. The rest is history from there. P.S. You’re never too old to go to college!

Made New Friends: I have made so many wonderful friends this year at Stephens. From students to faculty to staff, I am thankful to each of the individuals who have helped me transition into college and make me feel at home. To my friends at Stephens, “THANK YOU!”

Started A New Job: Upon enrolling at Stephens, I was granted work study. I found my place in the admissions department working as an admissions assistant, and it has been a wonderful learning process for me. The amazing people I’ve been privileged to work beside have made my job a fun and engaging one. I love being there to answer questions in person and on the phone, to share my college experience with student prospects, and to help them feel at home. I was once in their position so I know where they're coming from. Being able to relate through a first-time college prospective helps me give them a sense of relief and welcoming.

Moved Into A New Home: After living in a townhome for over four years, my family and I decided we were ready for a change. And that’s exactly what we did. We made the change from townhome to house over a 3-month period. From the time I finished my first semester of school in May to the start of my second semester in August, we house hunted, packed our belongings, worked at our jobs, and moved. I’m thankful for our new place we call home and for the family I share it with.

Writing On A Daily Basis (And tons of it too!): Since starting college, writing has become a daily routine; and even more now since I contribute to the Stephens College community page on Odyssey once a week. What is so benefitting about being about to write this much is the improvement in my writing capabilities, and personal satisfaction. I even started on my first novel which I hope to have completed by my senior year! I may sound nerdy for even saying this but I enjoy writing college papers. Every paper I’ve written so far has challenged me not only as a student but as a writer. I’ve learned to dig deep and discover my voice through words. I love it. And I love how I feel upon completion. Hearing feedback from family, friends, and faculty telling me that I’m a writer makes it all worthwhile and what I’m wanting to do with my life is not a waste of time.

Some lessons worth recognizing: Don’t be afraid to chase after your dreams. Stepping out of your comfort zone is OKAY. Be patient; all things come in good time. See value in everything you learn. Practice makes perfect.

Thank you for reading! Best of wishes for the new year! =)

Mary xoxo