To Whom It May Concern

To Whom It May Concern

ADHD Is No Myth

16
To Whom It May Concern
Great Lakes Psychology Group

To Whom It May Concern,

I'm here to explain to you why I know ADHD (attention deficite/hyperactivity-disorder) is not a myth.

For those of you who seem to know it all, I am here to tell you, you may be right about a lot of things, but you're wrong about this. I'm going to paint you a picture.

My brain works like this.

I sit and I think about what would happen if I turned into a pile of goo right at this moment, or what the exact sound of popcorn popping would sound like if I were a dog. I think about how long I could cross my eyes without them "getting stuck that way." But wait a minute...I'm in the middle of a Spanish test. Class is nearly over and I am still on the first page, and what do I have written down? My name. I now am realizing that most of the class has already turned in their test and left. Five more minutes have passed since I've realized this. Now all I can think about is the clock.

How do you think that test went?

That's only an example. This is my entire life. Every test, every class, every meal, every conversation with a friend. And I get it, everyone gets sidetracked sometimes. I'm not arguing that. But I'm sidetracked all the time. It takes me two hours to finish an assignment that should take 20 minutes. This isn't an excuse for laziness or procrastination (both of which I suffer from as well)...

It's a mental disorder.

I know that ADHD is misdiagnosed all day, every day. I also know that there is no scientific proof that can tell you exactly why I have it and what it does. I could throw theories at you all day long but it wouldn't matter. I'm here to tell you that I have always been different. I can't sit still for more than 20 minutes, and sometimes I can't even sit through a meal. I'm here to tell you that there is a real difference between a kid who can't focus and a kid with ADHD.

I would also, while I'm on the topic, like to inform you that it doesn't always go away when you're an adult. It can, but not always. So don't accuse me of having a child's disorder. I can understand how you could be confused, having never had to deal with it. It's different. It's hard. Every. Day. I also know it's hard to believe in something when there's no proof.

But I beg of you, before you go up to someone who says they have ADHD and tell them that it's not real, that they need to stop overreacting and begging for attention, to not. It's not easy and people telling us we are faking it, makes it no easier.

Sincerely,

I wanna watch Elf right now.

Oh right...

THE END.