To Whoever Is In My Dorm Room Next

To Whoever Has My Dorm Room Next, This Is What I Want You To Know

This room holds memories that will stick with you forever.

125
Photo by Katherine Jones

To whoever lives in Room 239 next,

I hope you make the same type of memories that I have made in this room. I hope you make friendships that make it feel as if you have a family at your new home away from home.

There will be times where you make amazing memories with your friends that will stick with you forever. There will be times where you make not so amazing memories while stressing over tests, or over the idea of being away from home.

You'll have moments where you sit on your bed, think back at how far you've grown over the past year, and be so proud of yourself.

Speaking of your bed, it will become a couch, so get some comfy blankets and pillows. Also, get used to your friends laying all over your bed because it's going to happen no matter what.

I hope your room becomes the hangout spot for your friends, because that is truly one of the best feelings in the world. I remember my roommate and I created a Pinterest board before we even officially knew we were roommates to ensure we had the best dorm on the hall. Not to brag, but I think we won that unspoken contest.

Whatever you do, be sure to listen to what your RA says about leaving your door open.

Leave your door open while you're studying or just hanging out. My roommate and I met our best friends by keeping our door open while we were just hanging out, so you never know what might happen! A spontaneous game night may occur or people on your hall will join in on your music sessions, sparking a new friendship you never knew you needed. Yes, there will be some people who just glance in your door and keep walking, but those people are no fun.

Katherine JonesThe friends we made by keeping our door open for the first few weeks!

Make sure to have fun during one of the craziest times of your life.

Have movie nights, cook dinner, binge watch a new show together, do something besides sit and talk to one another. Take advantage of the $5 movie nights and dinner specials at the restaurants around campus. Learn the shuttle system and take a trip to Target with your friends to buy all of the unneeded items for your dorm.

Laugh at the quirky yet annoying aspects of the dorm life.

For example, laugh at the fact that you might have a hole in your ceiling for a few weeks (enjoy those plastic ceiling tiles in the bathroom). Take note of how you have to flush the toilet. Whatever you do, don't call maintenance about the toilet because they'll make you feel not-so-smart. Be careful with your command strips, especially ones you place near the fire alarm in the room.

These moments may actually happen, so laugh about them!

Most importantly, I hope you enjoy your first year away from home. It may feel like the worst year of your life, but I promise it will turn out to be the best. I hope you grow as much as my roommate and I did over our first year away.

Take this time to establish your independence, sense of self, and the person you have always wanted to be. This is a fresh start in your life. Take advantage of it! Enjoy the year and have a great time, both academically and socially. If you need anything, we're just two floors away!

All the best,

The girls from 239