Who You Are

There's a lot of life changes packed in between the time you start high school and eventually graduate college. In that time, most people get their license, transition from being an athlete to just a student, have a boyfriend or girlfriend, move out of the house, have friends come and go, the list goes on.

Among all the life changes, it's really easy to place our identity in our activities and the people around us.

I know for me specifically, I didn't even realize the things I was placing my identity in until those things were taken away.

For example, I didn't realize how much pride I took in associating myself with sports until I stopped competing. In high school, I was involved in four different sports. I thrived on being competitive. I loved being seen as "athletic". Then, I came to college and became just a student.

It was difficult transition going from athlete to student in a lot of ways. It felt like there was a part of who I thought I was that was missing.

Growing up I had always heard that our identities should be rooted in Christ, for that's where our worth is derived from. I always thought I believed this and applied it to my life. However, it wasn't until push came to shove that I actually understood what it meant to have an identity and worth placed in Christ.

From my limited 20 years of life experience, I've come to know and understand this truth more fully.

Some identities can come and go, but an identity rooted in Christ remains unchanged and out of reach of the grasp of time.

So, whether you're an athlete or just a student, single or dating, or whatever the case may be ... Know that an identity found in Christ is unwavering. Even when life changes in the blink of an eye, Jesus remains the same. Rest in that.