Who I Was Isn't Who I am Anymore

Who I Was Isn't Who I am Anymore

I have changed so much in just one short year.

13
Who I Was Isn't Who I am Anymore
Me

As I began my drive to Texas, I started to think about who I was at this time last year. I remember how I felt and who I still talked to. I remember how it felt leaving my parents for the first time. I remember getting to Texas and realizing that was my new home. I remember how different I was.

Although high school hadn't ended too long ago, I stopped talking to many of my friends before school had even ended. During high school, I thought with more emotions than I do now and it caused me to lose many people I still care dearly about. Nonetheless, I still have one best friend I talk to every week, whom I pray I will never lose, and a few people I chat with every once in a while. Luckily, I had gotten the most toxic people out of my life.

As for how I felt, well, I was terrified. I've changed schools many, many times but this was different. I wasn't sure why, but it was. For some reason, I didn't think I was going to make any friends; a mindset I had pretty much every time I moved. Although my mindset was negative, I surely made a few fantastic friends. One quickly became my best friend, one eventually became my boyfriend, and some, unfortunately, unfriended me.

I started off the year playing soccer, determined to make something of myself in any way possible. I tried so hard to find the right thing for me, or really anything for me. Finally, in my second to last month of my second semester, I took an offer from the loud girl down the hall, whom I did not like. Upon spending more time with her, I realized we were so alike and we became fast friends and soon-to-be roommates. Not only did we click, but I became the Vice President of an organization called Turning Point, and boy did we click too. Though I haven't done too much for this org yet, it has done so much for me already.

If you had asked me what I wanted to do with my life this time last year, I could have drawn you an elaborate picture. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. Now I'm on my way to school, ready to change my major when I get back. While I haven't fallen out of love with politics, I have fallen in love with writing and talking about it. I was so offended when, in the beginning, people told me I would change my major. I thought they didn't believe in me and it frustrated me. Now I understand. In college, you discover your true passion. You take more specific classes which show you your interest. You may go to college thinking you want to major in one thing, but it's okay if you graduate with a new dream.

As I drive and reflect on the past year, I'm thankful for everything that has happened in the past year. All the new bonds, failed relationships, funny stories, deep conversations, sporting events, ticket stubs, pointless drives, and random trips to Walmart have made me who I am right now. I'm going into this year with amazing people in my life, a new major, awesome roommates, new experiences, and a positive attitude.