Was Santa Claus A Real Person?
Seasonal

Who Really Is Santa Claus And How Do We All Know Him?

If Saint Nicholas is shimmying down your chimney this year, you ought to know his credentials.

178

He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake — and no, it's not a serial killer.

With the modern age of Christmas mayhem, it is easy to forget the meaning behind Christmas.

Saint Nicholas was a real man almost 2,000 years ago. Arguably, he is still very real in the hearts of children — and the wallets of Walmart. Santa was a rich man (this is how he can afford to pay all his elves), who was orphaned young. Saint Nicholas decided he'd use his fortune for charity in the name of goodwill and God. Santa is known for being the patron Saint of children, sailors, merchants, and charities. The character who has become Santa Claus continues to support commerce, charity, and family today too--although I'm not sure how much he still helps sailors.

"The original saint was a Greek born 280 years after Christ who became bishop of Myra, a small Roman town in modern Turkey. Nicholas was neither fat nor jolly but developed a reputation as a fiery, wiry, and defiant defender of church doctrine"

Not only was Santa imprisoned for his faith, but he was also put to death. Before and after his death Santa created miracles around him. The greatest miracle might be more socio-cultural than honest to goodness magic. The legend of Saint Nick and the virtues he stood for has created a chain reaction of kindness — or Christmas Spirit.

December 25th, contrary to popular belief is not the historical date of the birth of Jesus Christ. It is hypothesized baby Jesus was born nine months prior — on the Spring Equinox. Sometime around 300 AD, The Roman Empire declared Christmas THE official holiday and the date has stuck ever since. Since Santa's say was originally December 6th, it was convenient to string the two holy figures together in one day of celebration.

Although modern Santa is strongly rooted in Christian lore, it is no longer celebrated solely as a religious holiday. Many families around the world celebrate Christmas culturally and spend late December celebrating goodwill and cheer.

I hate to break this to you, but the Santa we know today is not the real Saint Nicholas — and I doubt the Saint would be too happy that the holiday has evolved under corporate control. Sometimes, Christmas can become about more greed and less about love as perpetuated by superstores and child-targeted media. I do think, however, that Saint Nicholas would be proud to see his influence on charity around the world.

So, if a man that looks like Santa: red suit, big belly — breaks into your house I'd advise you call the police.