Who Really Had What It Takes To Be Ink Master?

Last week we were presented with the first female Ink Master. Was it really a fair judgement?

400
Ink Master

Last Tuesday, December the 6th, all Ink Master lovers eagerly sat around our televisions while rooting for whichever tattooer we thought had what it takes to be the next Ink Master. In this season we have seen a great deal of interesting aspects, such as the infamous female alliance which some contribute to taking out some of the male competition. In the season finale we were presented three brilliant tattooers; Gian Karle, Kelly Dotty and Ashley Malarkey.

While it is impossible to not admit how talented each of these artists are, in the season finale two had to be eliminated in order to chose one victor as this year's Ink Master. To start the show off, we are shown Gian, Kelly and Ashley each tattooing their canvas live for us to watch. After a few minutes of playful and occasionally vicious banter between the former contestants, the finish products are finally revealed from each tattooer.

The final products were a demonized form of the host David Michael "Dave" Navarro by Kelly, a Japanese design by Gian and a very detailed black and white piece by Ryan.

Here the artists are shown tattooing their designs live during the season finale.

Once the tattoos were revealed the audience was instructed to vote for their favorite tattoo by tweeting. After more a commercial break and a conversation with each artist about their piece, we were presented with the artist who received the most tweet votes which was Ryan Ashley Malarkey.

In the following photo Ryan reaches out to her fellow instagram followers for help in the voting.

In order to decide the next possible victor we had to go to the judges, Oliver Peck, Chris Nunez and Dave Navarro. A tough decision but the final vote was for Gian's Japanese piece since it showed a different style than he usual did along with precision and just plain beauty. This meant that Kelly Dotty was not still in the running for Ink Master.

Now that the competition was narrowed down to two potential victors, our attention was focused to two chest pieces that each competitor constructed with the instructions from the competing team, which in Ryan and Gian's case was Kelly. Kelly did not hold back when she gave Gian and Ryan what she thought was the most difficult challenge they could undergo, a watercolor coral reef design for Gian and a thick lined colorful 90's themed tattoo for Ryan. Kelly also had a challenge, but since she did not make it to the final two her tattoo was not revealed in the finale. Despite the odds being against them, Gian and Ryan came back with two phenomenal chest pieces.

Ryan's chest piece

Gian's chest piece

After having their canvas's reveal their chests on stage, the judges were given the challenging tasks of picking between these both beautiful works of art.

Chris Nunez voted for Gian and both Oliver Peck and Dave Navarro both voted for Ryan, crowning her the first female Ink Master victor.

While it is clear that Ryan does have what it takes to hold the title Ink Master, the consistent chanting for Kelly Dotty throughout the entire live finale leaves us wondering whether the judging was truly fair. Along with the chanting even after she was eliminated, I have also come across a great deal of social media buzz that is definitely team Kelly.

Below is the chest piece that Kelly created that was not shown on television along with the comments regarding the results.

Regardless of how some of us may feel, we can't deny how talented all of these artists are. As for Kelly, she has gained tons of publicity that will obviously help her in getting much more clients and business at her shop Helheim Gallery in Salem, Massachusetts.

Keep a look out for the date of the premier for next season. I know I will be watching!