Who Isn't Talking About Timothée Chalamet?

A look into the life of the rising actor.

266
NBC Universal

Timothée Hal Chalamet is a 22-year-old actor from Manhattan, New York City, who has been very popular in the media and film industry this year.

Coming from a family in the film industry, Chalamet began studying at LaGuardia High School, where he fell in love with the craft of acting. After graduating in 2013, Chalamet enrolled at Colombia University. After a year of studies, he transferred to and briefly attended NYU Gallatin School of Individualized Study to pursue his acting career.

Chalamet began his acting career in shorts films along with an appearance in a few episodes of Homeland. Chalamet's film debut is in Jason Reitman's Men, Women, & Children. In the same year, Chalamet appeared in Christopher Nolan's critically acclaimed film, Interstellar.

In 2017, Chalamet caught the media's eye as he starred in two award-winning movies, Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name.

In Lady Bird, Chalamet portrayed Kyle Scheible, a rich high school hipster whose in a band. Kyle is the love interest of the main character, Lady Bird. The film focuses on the coming of age of Lady Bird and her rocky relationships with her mother, friends, religion, background, and identity.

Chalamet gained an even wider recognition from his role in Call Me By Your Name, a coming of age film set in Northern Italy during the '80s focusing on the romantic relationship between a 17-year-old and his father's 24-year-old American assistant visiting over the summer.

Chalamet portrays Elio Perlman, a 17-year-old boy who explores his sexuality over the summer of 1983. Elio spends time with his girlfriend, Marzia, but is very intrigued by Oliver, a graduate student who assists his father.

Oliver and Elio begin to have a much deeper intellectual and caring relationship with one another throughout their limited time together.

Chalamet received recognition and praise for his portrayal of Elio and he was nominated for Best Actor at the Academy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and BAFTA Awards. Chalamet is the third youngest nominee for the Academy Award for Best Actor and the youngest since 1939.

Chalamet, who speaks fluent French and has played the piano for years, arrived in Italy five weeks prior to the film to learn Italian and guitar.

After being apart of two award-winning movies in 2017, Chalamet has multiple upcoming projects. The trailer for Hot Summer Nights came out on April 12th. The A24 film will be released on July 27, 2018, on limited release.

Chalamet plays Daniel, a teenager spending his summer in Cape Cod. Based on the trailer, Daniel gets involved in a shady drug dealing business, where his character gets himself in trouble.

Chalamet will also star in Beautiful Boy, an upcoming biographical drama about the struggles of meth addiction and recovery. Chalamet portrays Nic, the son of Steve Carell's character, who struggles with meth addiction. The film is told from Carell's perspective as he struggles to see his son recover from his addiction.

The film is scheduled to be released by Amazon Studios on October 12, 2018.

Chalamet will star in Woody Allen's A Rainy Day In New York alongside Selena Gomez, Jude Law, Elle Fanning, and Liev Schreiber. The film is said to be a romantic comedy about two people who spend a weekend in New York and throughout the film, they are met with bad weather and a series of adventures.

Due to the controversy of working with Allen, Chalamet has donated his whole salary from the film to the Time's Up, LGBT Center of New York, and RAINN organizations.

Chalamet has been featured in other forms of media including the March issue of GQ Magazine. Rapper Tyler, The Creator, who Chalamet is a fan of, rapped about Chalamet in his new song "OKRA.

As Chalamet's acting career is rising, it will be interesting to see where he is in a couple years!