To White Males Who Still Support Trump
Politics

To White Males Who Still Support Trump

Your hypocrisy blinds you from seeing the truth.

224
To White Males Who Still Support Trump
hd.se

During this past election cycle, it seemed unanimous among my female and POC friend groups that Trump was awful, and most of what he wanted to do once in office would be terrible. However, among my group of white, male straight friends, most didn't really seem to mind him being in office, and some even wholeheartedly supported him. Now, 8 months later, even after all the fiascos that have happened, Trump still has the support of many young, white men. Why? My hypothesis is that they lack a fundamental grasp on the basic concepts of sympathy.

As a white male, you probably haven't faced much opposition. You've never had to earn respect, and have had it fairly easily given to you. If you were in a situation where you worked for respect, it probably came quicker compared to your female/POC classmates or coworkers. You've never feared your safety while walking home alone at night, or if you were being paid fairly. You've never questioned your ability to land a job in fear of your racial background. This lack of conflict based on your ethnic background and gender has led you to believe that everyone has experienced life with the same ease as you, and that if people are denied opportunities, it is simply because they haven't worked hard enough.

Then Trump comes into office, and continues with her tirade of rants about working, middle class America. You agree with his comments. After all, all you have to do in America is find a job and work and you can be successful, right? Never mind that some people have to work twice as hard to get the same kind of acknowledgment for their hard work as you. Your efforts are praised, while the efforts of millions of other Americans is expected. If people are on welfare, its because they're all lazy and love mooching off the government, even if people in your own family have relied/currently rely on government assistance, its different because its YOUR family. YOUR blood. It must be everyone else who's lazy and entitled for asking for help, right? Grammy can use all the Medicaid she wants because she needs it, but if someone's abuela down the street also needs help, she's just a stupid, filthy illegal trying to take advantage of the government.

What many young white guys suffer from is the plague of hypocrisy. They excuse the problematic things they do or their family does by saying its okay, but if another family does the same they're trash. They see the world through one perspective, and struggle to empathize with others. If someone disrespects their mother or sister, they threaten to kill them, but if a female friend tells them they were assaulted, its because they were asking for it. If one of their white friends is harassed by a cop, there's an uproar, but if an African American is harassed, it was because they were not complying.

I am tired of the close mindedness of my male, white friends. I am tired of them seeing the world from the perspective of one color and one gender. If you are a white male and still support Trump, open your eyes. Talk to people. Put yourself in another's shoes, and commit yourself to empathy. Caring is not a weakness, and their is strength in trying to understand another's viewpoint and doing anything you can to help them if they are in need. The world is not made for straight white men, and not everything is about you. Care for others. Listen intensely, and listen before you judge.