My skin color is white doesn't mean I'm not human

My Skin Color, Just Like Yours, Doesn't Define Me

We are all human, why can't we treat each other as so?

218

First of all, I'm a very open-minded person. I've never seen anyone differently because that's how I was raised. Of course, for a 21-year-old White girl, no one believes that.

I'm not political. I don't care for Trump, Hilary, or any other person in office or wanting to be in office. I never have. I've never spoken up in political debates because it didn't affect me. I don't want anyone to "go back to where they came from" because honestly, this is the 21st century and that saying is just dumb.

However, it is now my turn to speak up. I saw on Twitter someone who was VERY upset due to the fact that Facebook marked his racist post against a white person as "hate speech." First of all, he was genuinely confused as to why. Does anyone want to explain? No? It's "hate speech" because white is a race too. Our ancestors may have done some terrible things to yours in the past which is not something that can be made up for BUT that does not make me or any other white person less of a human than you.

I have sat back for a long time and said nothing while getting spit on for being white. I put up with it because what can I do? Nothing. "Race" will always be a factor and I will always be the bad guy because I'm white. Please do not read this the wrong way and think that I believe diversity is terrible because it's not. I'm proud of American and how far it has come but I'm also disappointed in the way we've approached this topic.

Now, I can't speak for the police brutality and racism caused, but I can speak for myself. I can speak up and say that discrimination goes both ways. It's common to put a white person down because white people have done some terrible shit. However, I haven't. So why treat me like I have?

I didn't write this to be scolding but instead to just say that we all are human. We all have feelings. My skin doesn't define underneath. We were taught "don't judge a book by its cover" as children and even today people don't apply that.

All lives matter. Let's leave it at that.