Which Is The Better Series? The Model Edition

"RuPaul's Drag Race" tries to out "smize" front- runner "America's Next Top Model." Who will be on top?

76
Vogue

The first in a series of "Which one is better," I will be examining the virtues and strengths of two shows. They won't always be the same merits that I will examine in each article, but the idea is still the same: Which one is better?

The shows:

Perhaps the better known of the two, "America's Next Top Model" ran for 22 seasons from 2003-2015 and is rumored to actually have been picked up for a 23 season. The show has been known for major bitch fits, the start of many modeling careers (Lisa D'Amato and CariDee English to name a few) and even some non-modeling careers (anyone heard of Analeigh Tipton or Adrianne Curry?), and a seemingly confused message and genre.

"RuPaul's Drag Race." Even if you have not heard of it you has most likely seen a meme or gif that has been made from the show. Basically, picture "America's Next Top Model" and "Project Runway" having a glorious gay baby and you have "Drag Race." Not only do the contestants model, but they also have to create a majority of the outfits that they use for competition on the runway. Though this show is mainly exclusive to those in the LGBT+ community, it is a delight to watch no matter your personal inclinations.

And yes, before you get all over me, they have done major crossovers from Sutan Amrull (a.k.a. Raja Gemini, season 3 winner of "Drag Race") as a makeup artist/sassy gay best friend/surprise teacher for nine seasons on "ANTM" to an actual episode where past contestants and winners of "Drag Race" did a photoshoot during season 8 of "ANTM" where the girls dressed up like guys and the guys, well, dressed up like girls!

The hosts

First up, Miss Tyra Banks!

What is there to say about Tyra? She's fierce, she's a retired model, has recently found a lot of her shows cancelled, and she has defined an era of modeling.

Next: RuPaul!

He's fierce, he's still in drag, he's literally defined an era of drag and is helping to influence the new generation as well.

Now that I think about it, there really isn't that much of a difference between the two. One was successful and one is still successful even years after being in the business. It's hard to say who would win this round, but I'd have to go with Ru! He's 60 and still having a blast in his career. It also doesn't hurt that none of his projects have tanked, unlike his competitor.

The judges

On "Drag Race," there seem to be two requirements for judges: quip amazing one-liners and the ability to be critical but nice at the same time.

They are always critical, they are always on point, but they never try to bring a girl down. They give advice and help bolster their potential. Only if a queen receives a critique and does not approve upon the critique by the next judging panel, do the judges rile on them.

"Top Model," on the other hand, is another story that can be summed up in two words: Janice Dickinson. Dickinson, in a word, was a dick.

And yes, those were said on air to contestants. She was a judge for four seasons on the show and returned for subsequent seasons as a guest judge, photographer, and interviewer. However, while Dickinson is definitely the worst of all the judges, the judging definitely did not get better after she left.

And do I even have to mention Tyra's bitch fit on season four's infamous paneling debacle?

Again, the round has to go to "Drag Race" for the quality of judging.

Now, before I announce the winner, I think I should say why this was stacked against "Top Model" in the first place. It's the culture behind the shows. On "Top Model," Banks is up against a rock and a cliff. On one hand, she wants to promote women loving their bodies and celebrating who they are, however the modeling industry is quite the opposite, leading to a confused message and a bigoted TV show. As shown in an exercise during an episode, this little gem was let lose:

Many of the girls, such as the lovely lady above, also believe they deserve to win, leading to some very bigoted and racist comments from the contestants; a contestant from season 1, Elyse Sewell, perhaps describes the experience perfectly.

Not to mention the fact that in order to make it in the modeling business, you have to basically change everything you are,

and most likely stand for,

and your morals.

"Drag Race," on the other hand has a very different culture, a culture of family, this being because many members of the drag community have been shunned by their biological family members. Their "drag family" is all that they have. So even though they are in a competition, it is not at the level of backstabbing one sees on "Top Model," because at the end of the day, the queen that was just sent home was family. It's all they have left.

While images of them saying so is hard to find, it is there in the episodes themselves, with everyone referring to each other as "sisters" and Ru as "Mama." Basically, if someone asked Latrice Royale to lose a few pounds for a chance to win a contract of some sort she would probably say this and go eat a cheesecake and the community would most likely stick by her.

The modeling industry however would be more like:

Overall, I think "Drag Race" deserves to win the prize for "Best in Show." Not only for having the best message, best host, but for just being a great role model and positive source for everyone, no matter their sexuality or gender.

WORK IT, RU!

From Your Site Articles