Where's The Line?

Where's The Line?

Just because I say no, doesn't mean I don't like you.

6
Where's The Line?
fotolia.com

There is a lot of gray in life, but there are some areas where there's a vast difference between right and wrong, a lot like how some people can't quite differentiate between the words "yes" and "no." Merriam-Webster defines the word "consent" as, "to agree to do or allow something: to give permission for something to happen or be done." It means, saying the word "YES," not relying on the absence of a "NO."

Sexual Consent, seems to be a more frequently discussed issue in the media lately, but not so much within the halls of our high schools and homes. Though we are young, we can't just avoid these situations until we're older and ignore the fact that they're happening now. We need to address these issues before it's too late. It is too often they we give into peer pressure. Say no if no is what you truly feel, it is time to say what we mean and mean what we say!

I've heard of too many instances from people I know and care about, where consent wasn't even something they'd heard of. We're in high school, crazy things happen, there are parties and unsupervised "get-togethers," this is where not only saying yes is an issue, but where the use of substances that cloud our judgement, and lower our inhibitions become an issue as well. We can try to avoid the fact that these circumstances are plausible, but where would that get us?

You are in control of your own body and your partner of theirs. Boundaries are not meant to be crossed, but to be respected. Consent can be given or taken away at any time. If there is room for doubt in whether or not you are in agreement with each other, then the answer is no.

As teenagers, it's hard for us to believe that any of our life experiences are relatable, but believe it or not, the majority of the time, they are. We've all been in uncomfortable situations before, we're all inexperienced, or have been at one point, and have questions that we are too shy to ask and that's okay.

This generation, myself included, is paying way too much attention to what everyone else will think and too little about themselves. We care about wearing the same outfit twice within a month, when in reality, no one even remembers what we wore yesterday. So yes, having a conversation with one another about these important topics might be a little awkward, or weird, but it's better to address them and understand each other fully than to avoid them and become burdened with the consequences.