Where Did The Time Go?

Where Did The Time Go?

So, 2007 wasn't three years ago, it was ten.
169

So, 2005 wasn't actually five years ago like it feels like, it was twelve. Heelys came out in 2002. Hannah Montana aired in 2006. Are you still breathing?

The Disney princesses are old news. Every "kid" was born after the 1990's, only reading about life events like 9/11, or hurricane Katrina. Your younger siblings are no longer in elementary school. They are freshman in high school, playing on your old basketball team, and walking the halls like they own the place.

Going on social media is no longer just filled with friends pictures from college and high school. There are now status's of the internships and job offers people have accepted, study abroad announcements, and even engagements. Its exciting, going out in the real world, but also incredibly scary. There are no Thanksgiving breaks, Spring break trips with your large group of friends. Feeling safe in the confines of your childhood home.

But then again doesn't that excite you. Moving into an apartment from my freshman year dorm was one of the most exciting things. Not only do you have your own space, the excitement of living on your own, but the feeling of independence is oh so real. Costco isn't as exciting anymore without the real need for bulk size Ramen Noodles and Kraft Easy Mac. But the real best part, is your ice maker. Real, live, ice cubes, no more room temperature water for you!

College courses are no longer general education classes, they're classes that actually apply to you, crazy right? Internships are no longer mandated by your parents, you actually want to put yourself out in the work force. To dip your feet in the water of business, marketing, or whatever your heart desires before you dive in head first.

Going back home for the holidays is now a combination of "I missed you" and "clean up your room", "why are you out so late?". That's when independence feels the best. When you know how to live on your own, your mom's worrisome nagging is just plain annoying, and you know right from wrong... for the most part.

Seeing friends graduate and leave is always sad. Losing touch with old friends becomes a norm, but its the scary part of growing up. Everyone is taking life by the reins, no longer a backseat driver with their parents directing the destination. So I guess hold on tight?