When You're Too Exhausted To Function

When You're Too Exhausted To Function

Why you should NOT let yourself get so tired and worn out.

282
When You're Too Exhausted To Function
youtube.com

Is it just me, or is it at that point in the semester where I am so exhausted that I feel like I'm only functioning at 70 percent at all times? It seems no matter how much sleep we get, we are constantly physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted with the stresses of college life.

At this point, stress has taken on a whole new level of meaning. We're not just worried about how much work we're going to finish this weekend and still have fun, but we're worried about our future jobs, apartments, car payments, grocery bills, etc. Whether or not you consider yourself a stressed person, you cannot deny that living in a dorm setting takes a toll on your relaxation abilities. It's not necessarily easy to spend quality time alone to unwind and reflect on your day, your attitude and your goals.

Here's a quick reflection on how to become less exhausted and more lively as we come to the middle of the fall semester:

You can drink as much coffee or lemon water as you want, but the only thing that's going to make you less tired is actually committing to getting seven hours of sleep or more a night. Seriously, it is not worth it to stay up until 3 a.m. every night because you "have to" get your work done. Try to plan your schedule so that you still have time to relax during the day, but you're also being mindful of how much you have to get done and how much easier that will be on a full night's rest.

Take time before bed to put away your screens and look at a book or write to get your eyes off the harsh lighting. Spending time to unwind before falling asleep rather than just passing out will also help you get better sleep and feel more relaxed as you do so.

As much as you might love spending 95 percent of your time with other people on campus, sometimes you need to go M.I.A. for a while. Every week, I try to spend an hour away from my normal spots and go on a walk or sit in a new building where no one might expect me to be. Whether you choose to do that with your best friend or by yourself, it's important to take time during the week to reflect and think about how you're feeling, what happened during the week and how you can be more productive and awake in the upcoming week. In this season of more tests, colder weather and job interviews, it's really easy to get overcome with stress to the point where you don't want to do anything but watch Netflix for four days straight. Letting yourself get away from stress during the week is so important to your mental health, and prioritizing relaxation will help you feel more invigorated during the week.

Don't let yourself become the person who constantly complains about how stressed you are. No one wants to listen to that, and you don't want to get frustrated too easily either. Good luck as you go into midterms, and remember to get some sleep!