When You're Dating Your Best Friend
popular

When You're Dating Your Best Friend

What could be better than falling in love with your best friend?

2941
When You're Dating Your Best Friend
Linn Ha

Dating your best friend is the best feeling in the world. Although I have other "best friends", like the ones at school, at church, and at work, my boyfriend is at the top of that list. I could say a lot of cheesy things, like how I couldn't imagine my life without him, or how he always makes me laugh and smile, but how is that any different than dating someone else?

When you date your best friend, you find yourself at ease. I'm most comfortable around my boyfriend. I don't ever feel like I have to pretend to be someone else. Even on our first date, I didn't hold back. I let him get to know the real me, not the person who society wants me to be.

When you date your best friend, you discover things about yourself that you never knew. You find yourself participating in the activities that he loves, and discovering that you love it as well. You start to pick up some of their habits, like the way you drive or the way you talk.

When you date your best friend, your entire outlook on life changes. You start to think less about yourself, and more about your significant other. Instead of thinking in the moment, you may find yourself thinking about the future, like how a choice will change that.

When you date your best friend, you end up spending a lot more time together. You can spend hours sitting on the couch and not speaking to each other, yet it is the best feeling in the world. And when you do go somewhere or do something fun, it's always ten times better now that you're with your best friend! Even running to Target together feels like an adventure.

When you date your best friend, you tell each other everything. When I receive good (or bad) news, my significant other is always the first to know. Whether it's about the exam I just got back, or that I saw a dog on the street, he is the first person I tell. When I need to complain about something (or someone...), I always talk to him--even if the person I'm complaining about is him!

When you date your best friend, your biggest fear is losing each other. Sometimes that little thought of What if we break up? pops into my head, and it is the worst feeling. Losing each other would mean more than just a break up, it would mean losing the person that means most to you--your best friend.

When you're dating your best friend, you have a different form of communication. Whether it's the look or you finishing each other's sentences, you have a way of talking to each other that no one else understands. It's what makes your relationship so unique.

When you're dating your best friends, you share a lot of laughter. From inside jokes to silly moments, you bring out each other's inner child. Sharing laughter with the person you love most is always a great feeling.

When you date your best friend, you experience love in a way you never knew existed. I find myself thinking about my significant other all the time, and I can't help but feel so incredibly lucky that I'm in love with my best friend.

So, to my best friend and my boyfriend: Thank you for everything you have done for me. You're the Jim to my Pam, but you're also the Patrick to my SpongeBob. I love you!