When Your Roommates Are Your Best Friends

"Don't live with your best friends," they say. "It'll ruin your friendship," they say. But when you spend every minute with them anyways, you might as well live together, right?

67

1. Once in awhile, one of you will always bring up how awesome and unbelievable it is how lucky all of you are to live with your best friends. You’ll be sweet and cute and gushy for a few minutes, and then you’ll go back to flipping them off and sending them your best insults right after.

2. Sometimes, you would rather go home early on a night out because whether you’re out or not, your best friends will be with you. Plus, at least you can walk around comfortable without pants on in the safety of your own home.

3. Movie nights are unplanned, but somehow, they still happen at least once a week. Whether you actually watch the movie or talk through it depends on what you’re watching.

4. Your neighbors hate you. You guys laugh too loudly, scream all the time, and encourage each other to get crazier and crazier. Hey, it’s not really your fault that the walls are thin. (Plus, you and your roommates have a theory that they're all boring, anyways.)

5. You call each other out all the time on the little things without worrying about it. The dishes aren’t washed properly, the kitchen light is left on, and the music is too loud. You’re (usually) pretty nice about it, because you’re not going to be outright rude to the people you love, but you don’t worry about offending them. Even if you do, you guys will talk it out and go back to business as usual. It's what best friends do.

6. You never think about your roommates gossiping about your bad habits, because who would they talk to? It’s not like they have friends beside you.

7. Because trust me, they don’t. You are all each other’s only friends, or at least it seems like it. They’re always in your Snapchat stories, your Instagram posts, and the people you talk to about your day. You do live with them, after all!

8. The nicknames you guys have for each other are embarrassing, private, and hilarious. So are the inside jokes you have. Basically, your friendship has become a huge pot of memes.

9. You have way too many pictures and videos of them doing random (and usually stupid) stuff on your phone. You keep them for blackmail, and you even have a folder for all of them.

10. Going back to your hometown is a bummer, even though you’re super excited to see your dog. You just can’t talk about the same things with your puppy, you know?

11. You justify a lot of online shopping purchases by telling yourself that it’s not just for you, it’s for your roommates, too. You guys are all going to share it anyways, right?

12. Venmo might as well be your roommate too, because it’s a constant presence in your relationship. When you live with someone, it gets a lot easier to make sure they Venmo you back for the Hot Cheetos you bought when they forgot their wallet.

13. You may have your own bed, but sometimes, you just feel like spending all night with your best friends so you have a sleepover in their room.

14. You always have someone to binge Netflix with, and whatever show you’ve watched, they watch it with you, too. At the very least, they have an idea of what’s happening in the ongoing season because of you.

15. You didn’t realize it was happening, but somewhere along the way, your roommates became the family that you chose for yourself. You can be 100% yourself whenever you’re at home around them, and that’s exactly the way it should be.