When you work for the military, but know nothing about it.

Honestly, I don't know your rank and I am pretending I do.

43

I just landed a job for the military, but I know NOTHING about the military.So, here is a list of feelings/thoughts I had on the base.

1. Military bases are different from civilian life.

Honestly, it is so weird to see so many military people in one place. Also, people seem to be a little nicer on base versus civilian life. People just look out for one another on military bases more than regular people. I never want to return to civilian life now.

2. No sales tax

Do I even need to explain? No sales tax!? No sales tax on Starbucks. No sales tax at the market. No sales tax ANYWHERE. I only work for the military so I don't have to pay taxes on anything on base.

3. Military time is the devil

No, I don't know military time, and stop assuming I do. I have to sit there and count in my head about what time our meeting will be on Wednesday: thanks.

4. Bases are kinda crappy

Honestly, do these people not believe in color? And why do all the buildings look the same? So, do not tell me to go to (x) color building when they all look the same.

5. Watching people get yelled at is my favorite.

I'm morbid and I like to watch people get screamed at by their superiors around the base. I would sit in a lawn chair with popcorn and watch privates get yelled at by drill sergeants all day if I could.

6. Don't make eye contact with soldiers

Soldiers honestly freak me out. I never know if I need to be extra polite to them on base or just act like I don't see them. I just pretend to look at my phone when they walk past me. I don't mean disrespect, but I am awkward.

7. Bases are speed traps

Just don't speed. I am scared of military police too. So, I never want to get pulled over.

8. Paperwork. PAPERWORK

There is so much paperwork. I hope we recycle on base because holy crap we have so much paperwork to do all the time.

9. Looking like a fish out of water.

I feel like people know I don't know anything about the military. I just stare at soldiers trying to figure out their rank: I don't know rankings. I stare at the hours of places trying to figure out when they close. I am so lost, and so confused all the time.

10. Fake it till you make it.

Yeah, I'm lost. I'm confused. I ask higher ups for help and try to awkwardly charm them. I like to watch people get yelled at all the time. People are just a little nicer. Yeah, getting up super early sucks. But, honestly, base life is kinda awesome.