When You Know It's The One

When You Know It's The One

Sometimes, you just know.

216
When You Know It's The One
Google Images

Let me start off by saying that I am not a relationship expert. Sure, I have been in one for awhile both through the end of high school and now college. But, by no means does that make me an expert. Honestly, I do not think it is possible to become an expert on relationships, love, or marriage. Once you are in it, you are always evolving, changing, and most importantly growing together. So, here's to love. The kind that makes people nervous, excited, and terrified all at the same time. Here is to the kind of love that people write poems, songs, movies about. Here is to real love, something that everyone experiences in life, in different forms, different times.

I distinctly remember the first time I was in love. Not the first time that I loved someone, because I love my siblings, parents, friends, and of course my dog. No, the first time I was in love with someone was an immensely hot July day. I was laying on my stomach, kicking my feet behind me for some air flow. My boyfriend was laying about a foot away, looking up at the ceiling, trying to make calculous jokes about derivatives, and he was so good at this odd humor, he managed to come up with three in a row that made me laugh. Derivative jokes. I have a weird sense of humor, very few people have made me genuinely laugh before. I knew instantly, and yet did not say a word.

Now, I know what you are thinking. How can you possibly know as a teenager that you are in love? And even today as barely an adult, how are you sure? I was asked this a few weeks ago by a close friend, and I could immediately cite examples of love, clear as day, and I am blessed to be surrounded by it so much, every day. My parents every night sit across from each other at the dinner table, and plan little improvements to do around the house, and come up with the best order to do them in. They go out and buy seasonal decorations for the house, to make it their own. A house that they are raising amazing children in. A house that my amazing children will get to be in. A house that is one of the best representations of gathering, love, and incredible food. My boyfriend's parents spend time together every single night. From the moment I met them years ago, it was obvious that they mean the world to each other. Little things like flowers on the table, or cooking meals, it obvious that I have been blessed with not just one house filled with love, but have been welcomed into a second home as well, and I have never felt more loved by anyone else's parents from the start. On top of this, they are also raising incredible children, one of which I was lucky enough to fall in love with and make a life with forever.

Being surrounded by so much love in my daily life, it puts everything into perspective. A girl who was once focused on material objects, has learned that the worth of the people around you are priceless, and they are what you should be focusing on. Even though some days are tough, I know that I have a plan, with my boyfriend, to keep bettering ourselves, educating ourselves, building a future, and making sure that one day we can hopefully raise some great kids too. Most days it is shocking that I am growing up, no longer checking the boxes next to the gifts I want in the Toys R Us holiday gift flyer, a little part of me has faith that everything works out in the end, with love and hard work. Even though adulting is terrifying, with people by your side to support you, it finally clicks that life is a ride, but the view is great.