How Your Dream Job Changes With Life

As A Kid I Wanted To Be A Mermaid When I Grew Up, Now I Want To Work With Kids

Not *really* knowing what you want to be when you grow up, can lead you exactly where you need to be.

53

We are usually asked this question at a very young age: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" it's one of the most frequently asked questions asked of children ranging from toddlers to teenagers.

This question is often used to help kids think about their future at a young age. Being so young most kids don't really know what they want to be when they grow up. The generic answer most children will give is police officer, firefighter,nurse and teacher. For me it was a unicorn tamer, mermaid and fairy princess.

I know that sounds funny now but I was serious about being a mermaid.

It's good for children to think up these fun jobs because it helps them use their imagination. Who knows, maybe one day they could grow up to be comic book illustrators or tattoo artists. As you get older, those dreams change as you do. I know for me mine has changed quite a bit.

Instead of a mermaid, I now know that I want to work with kids. I've been around kids all my life from being an aunt at such a young age to being my family's official babysitter whenever anyone needs a night off. My dream job is to own my own daycare and hire people that are really passionate about working with children.

I've always loved working with kids. Over the years I have helped out at summer camps and summer reading programs for my local Elementary School. I even helped out as a leader at church for third and fourth graders.

To see if I was the only one who's childhood job, let them to what the really want to do, I reached out to my friend group and asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up.

I received a few responses back which made me excited. My friend Halie reached out to me and explained how when she was little she had wanted to be a teacher. Her and her siblings would play school all the time, then she wanted to be a vet as she grew older but realized there was a lot of math and science courses that came with that degree. In the end, she picked journalism which she is currently majoring in at CCRI. She plans on sticking with this because she loves writing. I know she will be an amazing writer she has such a creative mind she can turn anything into a story.

Finally my friend Nikki reached out to me and her response was "I wanted to be a chef" she always knew she loved to be in the kitchen. Whether it was helping her parents cook or making herself something she loved trying out new recipes. Nothing has really changed she has her Associates as a pastry chef and wants to pursue that as a career outside of college. she helps out at her previous high school Coventry High School. When they have events or helping to instruct the new culinary students they always call on her.

No matter what your dream is just go for it because it's your life and you should live it the way you want to. Don't have any regrets if your interested in surfing go for it, if its zoology go for it. If you love the job you have it never really feels like work.