When You Don't Want To Go To Bourbon Street

Other things to do in the French Quarter than Bourbon Street

93
Elana Israeli

Whenever New Orleans is brought up in a discussion, it is no surprise that Bourbon Street will get a mention or two. People that don't actually go to Tulane University, assume that when Tulane students go out they are going to Bourbon Street. In truth, I have been to Bourbon Street once this entire semester which is one more time than a lot of my friends. It is not exactly the most inviting place to go at night, and not close to campus at all. That isn't to say that it isn't fun, it just isn't a hangout spot for Tulane students since it is primarily comprised of drunk tourists throwing beads from balconies.

But, contrary to the stereotypical assumptions that Bourbon Street and Café Du Monde are the most worthwhile places to visit when going to the French Quarter, there are many other spots to visit in that area. When my friend came down to New Orleans this past week to visit me, I brought her downtown to the French Quarter for the classic beignet experience at Café Du Monde, and for an art tour of the area. We went from gallery to gallery, seeing unbelievable pop culture and contemporary works of art. Walking through the French Quarter, we entered about ten different galleries that all exhibited vastly different works of art which all happened to be unique and beautiful in their own ways.

Aside from the wide array of galleries, there are various restaurants, souvenir shops, and boutiques that line the streets running through the French Quarter. The little trinkets in the souvenir shops are all pretty similar, but the boutiques house some one-of-a-kind pieces that are definitely worthwhile to check out!

Moreover, if you plan on seeing the French Quarter in the daylight it is definitely a great time to check out the Riverwalk, which overlooks the Mississippi River. It is not an everyday sight in New Jersey to see Riverboats cruising in the waters surrounding us, so seeing these intricate boats is very exciting. There are also a ton of shops that line the Riverwalk for anyone who loves shopping.