When Smiling Hurts

When Smiling Hurts

In Hebrews 13:5 it is written: “God has said: ‘I will never leave you or forsake you’”

28
When Smiling Hurts
Jaimee Hood

I had an elementary school teacher who would always tell us to “Fake it until you make it.”

Some of us major in faking it.

It’s not even a choice, most of the time. It’s something that’s expected of us in our culture- to always pretend you’re okay. It’s almost a cliche at this point, that each of us wears a mask rather than a face, hiding our feelings behind it and going about life as though nothing is wrong. It is breaking us inside.

There is no doubt about it- faking positivity is absolutely exhausting. But equally exhausting is swimming in negativity.

The fact of the matter, though, is that sometimes the situations we find ourselves in are rather hopeless. Sometimes you find yourself in the dark, and it is actually impossible to find the silver lining within that circumstance. Admit it. You’ve likely been there.

So how do you win?

Even when there is no part of your situation that you can look on positively, think about the people in your life. I can look back on some of my saddest days and realize that those are the days I realized the strength of my friendships. And when earthly friendships fail, look above to a God who will never fail you. In Hebrews 13:5 it is written: “God has said: ‘I will never leave you or forsake you’”. Cling to Him, and you will ever, ever fall.