When You Need To Fly Away

When You Need To Fly Away

Sometimes you need to escape.

20
When You Need To Fly Away
Emily Whipple
"Oh that I had the wings of a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest."
~Psalm 55:6

Oh, how I wish I could just fly away whenever I want. There is something about being at 30,000 feet that give me great peace. Every little problem in your life seems to go away for the duration of your flight. Especially at night, where you look below and see the twinkling lights of city lights. The hustle and bustle of our noisy life becomes pure beauty and silence.

It is amazing to watch how life can drain out of myself and my peers on my campus. As the days edged closer and closer to spring break, I started to see changes in myself. Homework started piling up everywhere. My once neat and tidy area of my room was buried under piles of random junk and school binders. I had little motivation to look nice, so I found myself wearing sweatpants, hoodie, and Yankees hat.

Emotionally I was a rollercoaster. My mood would go from the pure relief of the quickly approaching break to complete dread due to all of the homework I had for my classes. I was irritable when it came to having to deal with people who always need a little extra grace.

I wanted to leave. There were many times when I just wanted to leave and fly away from all of the priorities in my life. Would there be consequences? Sure, but I did not care.

Then, on the night before spring break, I opened my bible and found Psalm 55:6. It was a great to find because it showed that even 3000 years ago, King David wanted to fly away. He could have easily run away from his priorities and problems.

The thing we have to realize is there will be days when the world will break you. Your heart will break. David felt the same way throughout his life. It would be amazing to fly away like a dove, but it is not possible. Sometimes we will not get a break and we will have to go and face the music.

When you do get a break, take advantage of it. When you do not get a break, relax. You are not the first person to be in this situation, and you definitely will not be the last.

The thing problem is you can only fly so long; you will have to land eventually. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Where do I go from here?"