When Life Knocks You Down, Stay Positive

Recovery comes in different forms.

217
Wouter de Jong

Sometimes, life kicks your legs out from under you and lets you fall on your bottom. You think it can't get any worse and in that moment, you start to rebuild yourself. Many people in the span of their life go through a bad experience that causes them to have to almost start again.

For me, this moment came last summer, and I had to recover and adjust to life afterward. At times I thought I would never feel normal again, but I learned a new normal and learned how to love life again.

The first step to reaching your new normal is your mindset. You could be the person who lets one bad thing dictate their entire life, or you can be the person you grows and learns from life's experiences. Instead of thinking about how horrible something is, think about what you've gained from experiencing it. Use that to build yourself into a stronger person and even go as far as to help others in similar situations.

It is also important to recognize when you're not okay. There is nothing wrong with admitting you need help – it means you are smart and aware of what you need. This is where I personally dropped the ball. I ignored that anything was wrong and never even told anyone I was hurting. Because of this I never got the help I needed and had to carry the burden all on my own, which only hurt me in the long run. Now I have opened up to my close friends and family and have a ton of support, which has helped me a lot in the healing process.

Another way I have found helps me heal is investing time in myself. I like to allow myself to self-reflect and think about what I am grateful to have. Instead of focusing on the bad, I focus on the good. At first, it's hard to see what could be good in life after something bad has happened to you, but soon you learn to appreciate the small things. With this, I also allow myself to enjoy the simple things. If I'm upset, something as simple as a Netflix show or a cup of iced coffee can cheer me up.

Finally, finding something to be passionate about is a great way to distract you from being sad. Invest your time in a non-profit organization or really get into your schoolwork. Doing something good will restore your faith in society and help you heal into a better person than before. Through the healing process, I have rediscovered my admiration for science and psychology. I question things around me and plan to pursue a career in the field. This passion has helped me be excited about my future and encourages me to try hard in college.

At the end of the day, everybody is different, but the most important thing to do is to stay positive. Also, be aware of your friends and family. See if they need help and communicate that you're there for them. You can't force someone to confide in you, but you can make it known you are always available for them.