When Life Gives You Paint, Find A Canvas

No matter what you're doing, make art.

54
author's photo

You know those few weeks between Thanksgiving break and Christmas break, that's what I like to call hell. I am a big ball of stress trying to work on all these projects. To be honest I'm already over it and ready to go home.

From the moment I got back from Thanksgiving Break, I was thrown into a whirlwind of assignments and projects. I have had an essay due almost every other day this week and it seems like everyone is getting sick. I have a lot of friends who are so stressed that they make themselves sick, I have friends who are just sick from the cold, and I even have a friend with pneumonia!

It feels like everyone is falling apart. I wouldn't be surprised if my friends started losing body parts by now. This month-long break is long overdue, I feel like it's definitely time for me to hibernate.

I'm tired of worrying about my GPA, and I'm even more tired of worrying about the classes I'm taking next semester. I had so much stress from my classes and how I was getting home, I never had time for myself. Do you know how crazy you can go with no time to yourself?

I know this time of year is always the most stressful, in high school and in college. But I think everyone needs to make sure that they take care of themselves. Worrying about your mental Health and keeping calm is honestly the best way to survive this hellish time.

Make sure you take breaks, even if it's just to do silly things. I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes I can even forget to eat. That's not the best idea, is it?

Enjoy the small moments that can bring a smile to your face. I went to the gym with my roommate when I was stressed. We just worked out to my favorite music.

And never be afraid to talk about your nervousness or stress, your friends are there to help out and support. I always text my friends when they are stressed and give them advice on how to pull through. Sometimes just having someone listen to you can make you feel ten times better.

Don't forget to take breaks and understand that everything we experience happens for a reason. There are a lot of things in the world that we can't control, but we can control how we handle them. Keeping a positive attitude and outlook can help so much.

The other day my dorm had a painting competition, I was really stressed and almost didn't go. I am so glad I did though because it was a nice laugh. I had to paint The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dalí in under ten minutes.

Now I didn't think it was the best, but for some reason, I won, not sure why. I got a prize and everything. Something so simple as a painting made me feel so much more relaxed.

Sure there was paint that didn't end up on the paper. There was paint on my hands, even some got on my scrunchie. My friend Zina took the time to paint a newspaper for fun.

My friends were with me and we laughed about everything and anything. It's good to have these small moments of appreciation before going back to focus on work. It honestly inspired me and my new motto in life (hence the title).

When life gives you paint, find a canvas.