Inspiration

When Life Closes A Door, You Knock On Another

You're not always going get to get what you want in life, but you will get the things you need in the end.

122
Looking out
Corrine Harding

You know the cliché saying, "Whenever one door closes, another opens." In the moments a door closes, sometimes you need to find another door or maybe even window, but sometimes we focus so much on the closed door we can lose sight of the other options around us. Life, in a nutshell, is about all of these big or small decisions and outcomes that build up over time. You can think back to those glory moments of success, but do you enjoy looking back at moments things didn't go your way?

Being told no is not easy. No matter if it was a time when you were young wanting the newest toy on the market or not getting your dream job as an adult. You are going to have thunderstorms somedays. Not every single day in your life is rainbows and sunshine. You will have a few days where it is pouring down rain, but you forgot your umbrella. You will have days that are not picture perfect. Even the most successful people in the world do not have perfect stories and were not told yes for everything. Sometimes no matter how hard you work or how big your dream is, you still won't get it. We have these moments of being knocked down to see if we have the strength to get back up. A hard lesson we all must learn in life is that you are not going to get 100% of everything you want or dream about, but your reaction to these situations can set the tone for future events.

Your attitude and reaction to events, whether successes or "failures," are huge factors in your personal growth and life. You can have a pity party. This party can't last forever though. You can give yourself time to heal, cry, let out your emotions, but then you must try to brush yourself off to find the next thing you are supposed to do. I'm not saying you are going to find the best thing in the world right after being rejected. I am saying that your story is not finished. The difference between wants and needs is something you realize as time continues on. There is so much more for you to do that dwell on a moment in time that didn't go away. You cannot waste away your life being upset about rejection or failure. That type of attitude will keep you spinning your wheels for the rest of your life.

Whether you believe that God has a plan for you or life is just about picking and choosing doors to walk through, you need to see that these very hard moments of rejection are setting you up for something you cannot even imagine yet. The scary but exciting thing about life is that you don't know what will happen next. You just need to have faith that everything happens for a reason. So when you are facing a moment of being told no, or you did not receive what you want, you cannot give up. You cannot throw yourself on the ground and throw a fit. You need to understand that this opportunity wasn't made for you.

Whenever a door closes in your face, don't waste time pounding on that door. Keeping walking untill you find your next door to knock on.