When You Judge Others, You Do Not Define Them, You Define Yourself

Don't label us just because you don't look like us.

120
pexels.com

We have a serious problem in our society, not just in American society, but all over the world. Judging people by the way they look is a type of prejudice.

This happens most of the time to people of color. Some people might think it’s not a problem that needs attention and a solution.

It’s becoming our way of living bit by bit, and it needs to be stopped because it's not right. Prejudice only causes more misunderstanding and causes the death of innocent people.

For instance myself.

It was on a Saturday morning when I was walking to a bus station with a friend who was of the same race as me, which is Black. It was kind of foggy as if it was going to rain. We were going to go to a park in West Fargo, but instead we decided to go to the mall for shopping.

At the mall, we were just walking and talking about some stuff. Then we saw a little white girl crying in the middle of the way. She looked lost because there was no one with her.

No mom, no dad.

We tried to help her find the one she came with by asking her questions, but she was not saying anything. I tried giving her a hug because I thought she needed one.

Then something really disappointing happened to us.

Take a moment. What do you think happened next?

A woman was walking towards us with a crabby face as if we were doing something wrong. She started yelling at us, "Why are you touching my child?’’

‘’What did you villains do to her?’’

‘’Who asked you to even get close to her?"

‘’You guys are the problems in this country.’’

‘’Go back to your forests you came from.’’

She didn’t even give us a chance to explain why we even got close to her child.

Y’all already know what happens when someone is being yelled at in public right?

Well if you don’t know, I will tell you.

Everyone was staring at us and some started taking videos of us.

That was the most confusing moment of my life. I couldn’t even say anything. My friend got mad and went at the women. She wasn’t willing to listen to anything we had to say.

Luckily, there was a police officer who was coming to the little girl when he saw us trying to help her find her racist mom. He walked up to us and told the women what happened.

She couldn’t even say anything because she was probably ashamed of herself. She just grabbed her child’s hand and started walking away without saying sorry or thank you.

This event made me think of white people in a different way then, but now I know not everyone is racist and that you can’t judge people by their race or the way they look.

I am pretty sure I'm not the only one this happened to, and it doesn’t happen only in malls. It happens on social media, in school and so many more places. But it is still not recognized as a problem and most of the time people just don’t care about it.

Columbia University Professor Dr. Derald Wing Sue also gives a personal example: ''I'm an Asian-American, born and raised in the United States.

When I’m asked where I'm from, people seem not to believe me when I say Portland, Oregon. And they will say, no, what country were you born in? And I will say, the United States. They get very embarrassed.

People who ask me these sorts of questions think they are just being friendly. But the hidden message, the true world view, is that I am a permanent alien or foreigner in my own country. I am not a true American, because true Americans only look a certain way.''

In the US, racism is since the horrific terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001, Security concerns have understandably increased, but so too has racial profiling, discrimination etc. In the early aftermath of the attacks some Americans that were understandably outraged and horrified, even attacked some members of the Sikh communityhttps://www.weareoneamerica.org/attack-sikh-community-attack-america where at least one was even killed, because they resembled certain types of Muslims, with beards and turbans.

Various people of Middle East or South Asian origin have faced controversial detentions or questionings by officials at American airports well-known issue. From racial profiling to other issues such as affirmative action and the rising resentment against immigrants.

This means that this is an everyday problem that hasn't been solved yet even though people know about it and others are still facing it today.

we really need to help stop this, there are millions of ways we all can help stop this.

Speak out against jokes and slurs that target people or groups.

Make cross-race friends.

Provide as much accurate information as possible to reject harmful myths and stereotypes.

These are not the only ways to stop this problem, you can search many other ways to stop it on google.