I Have To Do "Me" Before I Can Do "We"

I Have To Do "Me" Before I Can Do "We"

Determining where relationships should stand in your life and when they are most beneficial to you and your partner.

10
I Have To Do "Me" Before I Can Do "We"
Jennifer Taylor

As a college freshman who recently turned eighteen, I still have not experienced everything there is to experience regarding love, romance, and relationships. Nevertheless, as I meandered through my high school years and I'm now starting my first week of college classes, I have discovered some things about myself and what I should prioritize as I continue my education.

First, I have to do "me" before I can do "we." I am fully independent as my own human being; I don't need another "half" to complete me. I need to focus on my education, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and making the social/business connections necessary to land a reliable job. Furthermore, with my own income, I could use the money to buy a house or a car, pay my monthly phone bills, or treat myself to a new dress. These college years are crucial in that I am figuring out who I am and what I need to do to achieve my goals, both personal and socioeconomic. While there's a great chance I will meet new people and go on a date or two, I have to keep my eyes on the prize; if I become too distracted with my romantic life, I will enjoy temporary satisfaction at the expense of my hard work, which could have led to a lifetime's worth of success and progress.

However, that does not mean that my significant other cannot build me up and motivate me to become a better person. The point of relationships is to move forward and grow together. If you are with somebody who works hard and is consistent in their drive for personal growth, it will most likely inspire you to work harder and improve yourself. You also want somebody who is attentive to your needs while remaining respectful of your space and the fact that you have a life of your own.

You also need someone who supports you in your endeavors, applauds you when you make a smart decision or reach a personal goal, and kindly reminds you of the consequences of your not-so-wisely-made choices. They're not there to blindly support you in every risk you take; after all, we don't always know what is best for ourselves, and having a second pair of eyes and ears to keep us in check is always helpful. But we need to be careful not to completely rely on or agree with our partner's opinions, ideas, and beliefs. It is okay to be different and to disagree on a few topics; what is important is that you respect and honor each other regardless of perspective.

Each person in a relationship will have their own quirks and things they do or do not like, and it is vital that each of you honor each other's wishes, whether it regards personal privacy, lifestyle choices, or living habits. But if one of these things is something you don't necessarily agree with, you don't have to swallow your pride. Communicate with your partner and take a step back if necessary.

Finally, it is okay not to settle at such a young age. You have a life to live and you are changing every day in regards to maturity, personality, style, etc. Your partner will also be changing, and sometimes change either brings you together or you grow apart. And growing apart is not always a bad thing; that doesn't mean the year-long relationship was a waste. It's just how life works. We unite, we part ways, relationships rekindle, relationships fade. Everything comes in due time, often unexpectedly. Just go with the flow, learn from the past, focus on your goals, and if you happen to have time to date or meet new people, take that time without prioritizing it over school, your job, or family and friends.

Remember, nobody has the absolute power to shape who you are. A partner can definitely grow with you and inspire you to succeed, but if he/she doesn't fulfill that motivational role, the best thing to do is part ways and focus on becoming the best individual you can be. Then you can put forth your best effort and fulfill your responsibilities as the thoughtful, hard-working, and stable partner you and your companion aspire to be.