When God Speaks And You Answer

When God Speaks And You Answer

What happens when you hear and respond?

6
When God Speaks And You Answer

I sat down in the deteriorating gymnasium on campus for my first day of volleyball class. I lucked out getting into an easy, one credit hour, blow-off class, but why did it have to be at 8:00 a.m.? I wiped the sleep from my eyes then, I heard it. "Anna, you need to talk to that girl."

I looked to my right and noticed a Japanese foreign exchange student sitting with a binder in hand and a poised, relaxed expression on her face. I selfishly thought, "I don't even know if she speaks English. I'll look so dumb trying to communicate with her, and she doesn't even know me!" Finally, I reluctantly decided to obey, and just as I took a breath and opened my mouth to speak, she spoke a warm "hello". I was humbled to say the least.

Who knew that moment of awkward greetings in an 8 a.m. elective class would lead to improving her English skills, a sweet friendship learning about each other's cultures, sharing beliefs over cafeteria food, and bonding over Disney (the only thing that brings all cultures together, am I right?)?

Leaning across the table in a Panera booth, I drank in every word spoken by a dear friend and spiritual warrior my age. My heart was in an emotionally tumultuous state at the time, and I was looking for any and all encouragement I could get. My thoughts were racing concerning the guy I was currently dating, of which I was convinced the Lord had for me to marry. If that were true, then why was I so stressed?

With all my mental capacity I focused in on her words, and she made this statement: "Right now, the Lord has been challenging me to seek Him simply for who He is not for what He does." In that moment, I heard it again. "Anna, you need to move away from that relationship and pursue me."

My relationship with God had become exactly what my friend said: me walking in every day asking for what He could give (in the form of the patience and peace to make it through another day dating) and not seeking the Lord for who He is. I was consumed. I could not remember the last time I opened my Bible simply to learn more about God. I was always looking for validation for my relationship with the guy instead, trying desperately to make myself feel better.

Who knew that moment of clarity (and almost vomiting out of emotional stress) would lead to a devastating and unexpected break up (not because of my obedience, sadly) - and would THEN lead to a brand new community of the greatest people I have ever met, sweet new roommates, a position on a Young Life team, a new job, skyrocketed confidence and self-esteem compared to where I was and EXPONENTIAL spiritual growth?

I was in the back of the youth room feeling guilty for being so distracted instead of listening to the message like I was supposed to. I decided to be a bad influence on the students and get on my phone. As I was looking at my messages, the familiar voice came again. "Anna, you need to text your friend those scriptures I led you to read this morning."

I had read one of my favorite passages that morning, but it hit me a slightly different way when I read it. I wasn't sure why, and I also didn't know if it would make any sense to my friend. But I decided to type it out anyway and see how I felt about it:

"And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matthew 6:30-34)

I typed out that scripture and a few sentiments I felt led to say that might encourage her. I still felt kind of self-conscious because we were neighbors and friends, but I had never had an in-depth conversation with her. She had just gone through a devastating life event and was emotionally broken.

Apparently, when she received the text, she was moved immensely! She found me later and said, "ANNA! Did your roommate tell you I have been doubting God exists after what happened?" I was confused and replied, "No, I had no idea."

She had been praying for the Lord to reveal that He was real because when life kicks you in the gut, it is hard to believe what was once so clear. The familiar voice spoke to her that day and said, "My daughter, why do you have so little faith?" Those verses assured her she is well taken care of.

The Lord speaks. He doesn't have to, but He does. He chooses to communicate with us because He has a love that is uncontrolled, uncontained, wild and unashamed. When the Lord speaks, He wants us to listen and answer just like humans desire that flow of communication when they speak. The difference is, God created you, knows your thoughts and sees the big picture. An answer to Him is a 'yes' to all the goodness He has planned for you.

Who knew all those things would happen because I sheepishly answered His voice?

God knew.