How To Decide Between Rescuing Or Buying Your New Dog

Getting a new dog is a wonderful thing, but should you buy or rescue your new furry friend?

57
Bark Post

Dogs truly are man’s best friend. There are many benefits to getting a new dog: you’ll exercise more, feel less stressed, your children will be less susceptible to allergies, you will be in a better mood and in better health overall, and you’ll have a new best friend. All things considered, when you do decide to get a dog, there are several options on how to do so. Mainly: rescuing vs. buying.

Buying a dog from a breeder has several advantages: you are able to see the dog’s environment in which it was raised in, you’ll know the dog’s family health history, and you know exactly what breed you’re getting. Buying from a breeder also has some disadvantages: it can be extremely expensive, the dog may have separation anxiety caused by being taken away from its family, and purebred dogs do not live as long and tend to have more health issues. Not only is buying from a breeder typically more expensive but you then also have to pay for all the dog’s shots and to be spayed/neutered if that’s what you want to do.

Rescuing a dog as its advantages: when you pay for the dog most of the time the shots and spayed/neutered procedure is part of your original fee (which is much cheaper), mixed-bred dogs live longer and tend to have fewer health issues, you are really saving two lives (the dog you rescued and the dog that will take your new dog’s spot in the shelter), you can rescue not only puppies but also adult dogs, and the love and gratitude you receive from a rescue dog is priceless. There are a few disadvantages to rescuing a dog: you do not know the dog’s family history, you do not know the exact breed of the dog, and because of that you may not know if it’s the right fit for you/your family.

Both rescuing and buying obviously have their pros and cons. It’s really just up to the owner if they’d rather buy or rescue. I personally prefer rescuing dogs to buying from a breeder. Rescuing a dog has more pros than cons, is cheaper, and really makes you feel like you’re doing good. Though either way, you’re getting a dog. Whether it’s for you or for someone else, a dog is man’s best friend and you will not regret your choice whether you buy from a breeder or rescue from a shelter.

Overall, a dog is a great addition to your life. Everyone needs a furry companion by their side, sometimes even more than one. Whether you buy from a breeder or rescue, when getting a new dog you save two lives: the dog’s and your own.