5 Reasons You Need To Watch 'When Calls The Heart'

Seriously, start binging today.

504
TV Series Finale

The American people have so many choices when it comes to television shows, that we don't even know where to start! We binge watch on Netflix, DVR the latest episodes of our favorites, and follow our favorite shows on social media. But if you take a moment and think about the most popular television shows, what do they all have in common?

More than likely, they reflect our current culture. At almost any time when you turn on the TV, you might find references to sex, drugs, drinking, violence, terrorism, lying and deceit. Why else would almost any device come with parental control? We don't want our children to see such harsh realities early on. But where is the line between cartoons and current culture?

Let me tell you about one of my favorite shows, "When Calls the Heart." This series follows the life of Elizabeth Thatcher, a young teacher who is accustomed to her life in higher society. She is placed in her first classroom teaching position in Coal Valley, which is considered to be the "Wild West" compared to her home.

As she travels west to this small, frontier town, she is faced with many challenges learning about the new land she calls home. As the seasons unfold, we follow Ms. Thatcher as she becomes a part of a lovely community, forms friendships, falls in love, and matures both personally and in her teaching.

The show just premiered its' fourth season, but viewers can watch past seasons on Hallmark's website. There has been tremendous praise for this show and its' cast, including public viewers, as well as earning record-breaking numbers during shows. “This weekend’s strong closing performance of 'When Calls the Heart,' Season 2, is proof positive that our unique brand of storytelling in original scripted series is resonating with viewers in a big way," said Michelle Vicary, the executive vice president, programming & network publicity.

Let me give you a few highlights of why this show is one of my absolute favorites.

1. Mountie Jack

Handsome lead role. Perfect gentleman. Town hero. Positive role model. What more could you ask for?

2. Community

One of the most amazing things you'll notice about Coal Valley is that everyone there unites and helps one another. In times of tragedy, they all work together to get the town up and running again, but even on a day-to-day basis, your neighbor's got your back. Now I'm not saying there aren't squabbles in the town-- there certainly are-- but they know how to persevere and focus on the goal.

3. History

One of the best parts of this show is the historic accuracy. As you watch, you get a clear sense of what it felt and looked like to live in a frontier town in the 1900s. You can see Westward industrialization happening as the Pacific Railroad comes to town. You can see how dangerous it was to live in the middle of nowhere with only one constable as the town law enforcement.

You can almost smell the home cooking in Abigail's Diner, and you can cringe with Elizabeth as she tries her hand at being a cook for the first time. The historic accuracy between life on the frontier and life in the nearby hub of Union City. You can see the difference in how she grew up in high society, as compared to her life now on the frontier.

4. Fashion

The show accurately depicts how people dressed during this time period on the frontier. What I love most is that these actresses show how women dressed modestly but were still very beautiful. They didn't wear revealing blouses or short skirts, they wore clothes that honored themselves and their husbands. I almost wish that these clothes would come back in style because modesty is always classy!

5. Romance

Just as with any show, When Calls the Heart has its fair share of romance- but it's not trashy romance. Probably the biggest romantic story line is the courtship of Elizabeth and Mountie Jack. When she comes to town, there are subtle glances and flirting exchanged, and even now – 4 seasons in- they have just now kissed for the first time.

They go on dates, they meet for supper, and they attend town functions together. They didn't immediately jump in bed. I love this because it gives us a glimpse of how courtship should be. It shows us how captivating falling in love truly is. And it also gives us a positive example of a young couple who are respecting each other and respecting themselves in a romantic relationship.