When Being a Hopeless Romantic Doesn't Help

There is such a thing as too much romance.

97
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

So, I have had to come to terms with who I am. It is so easy to make fun of certain tendencies and habits I have and try to play it off as really not that big of a deal. However, I have had a lot of time to think how my certain tendencies play out in life.

There are a lot of things that I could talk about but, I am going to focus on my hopeless romantic tendency. Does it help that I am taking a course entitled, "Intimate Relationships"? No, it does not. However, that is where I am at in this moment, and romance and relationships are on the top of my list.

When I check my Instagram and see another engagement I realize that I am about to head to the SGA office to rant again about: relationships, my pain in my lack of one, my joys in my lack of one, and then about how much I love, love. As most of those that work with me have probably heard me comment or spiel on relationships I am realizing just how... well annoying it all is.

At a young age, I watched all of the bridal shows on TLC. My favorite movie was 'The Wedding Planner'. I would not read a book if it did not have a hint of romance in it. And I dreamt of the day that I would be dating, engaged, and then married within my perfect four years plan. I roll my eyes at this point because I am seeing that I was a little intense with this whole romance thing.

This whole obsession with the right guy, the perfect relationship, and then the beautiful wedding is just a bit too much. I would like to pause and state that this isn't me proclaiming that I am choosing to stay away from relationships. This is just me stating that there can be at times an unhealthy obsession with romance.

I mean think about it ladies. When you have a conversation with a group of girls relationships tend to be brought up. And the last time you mentioned a crush it was probably hyped up so much that it crashed and burned before it even started. You have not fully bonded with a girl until you share at least one embarrassing boy story and share who your current love interest is.

Relationships are great and so is the desire in having one. Also, talking about relationships is not wrong. However, there is a problem in thinking that you are going to find satisfaction in being in a relationship. You will be just as lonely in a relationship as you were outside of that (there is science to back me up on this). And there is also a HUGE issue with being so focused on a relationship.

Being a hopeless romantic in and of itself is not bad. However, being so focused on romance and what you think it should be could quickly turn into a problem. So, yes keep ranting about how your crush still hasn't noticed you. Yes, discuss how you have yet to go on a date and it is ridiculous. Whine about how the "guy of your dream" still won't ask you out. And, please continue to love, love. But please please please don't let the "need" for romance take over your life.