When Is It Appropriate To Send A Double Text?

To double text or not to double text? That is the question.

4795

Double texting. You would absolutely be lying if you said you’d never done it before.

While double texting seems like a fairly appropriate solution when someone hasn’t responded to your super important text, there are times when double texting is not the answer.

Should you double text that guy you met last night? What about your BFF when hunger strikes and you need food ASAP?

You’ll never have to ask these questions again. Check out this list of several scenarios that will help you answer the unavoidable question: Should I double text?

Scenario 1: You text your mom and ask what’s for dinner. It’s been an hour, and she hasn’t responded. Should you double text her?

Definitive answer: No. Technology is hard, and you can wait. Give Mom a break.

Scenario 2: You send your coworker a polite text asking to switch shifts next week. It’s been three days, and said coworker, has yet to respond. Double text or nah?

Definitive answer: Go for it. Sometimes, a non-text back from a coworker is his/her way of saying no, but maybe the text was just overlooked. Clear things up with one more civil text. If you don’t get a response after that, work your scheduled shift, sans complaining. All will be fine.

Scenario 3: You send a classic “Hey!” to the guy you’ve got your eye on. It’s been 30 long minutes and nada. Should you text him again?

Definitive answer: HELL NO! It’s only been a half hour! Sometimes people are busy and not on their phone 24/7. You have willpower. Put your phone down and stop worrying about whether or not this guy is going to respond. Besides, we all know how this conversation will go. See below:

“Hey!”

“Hey.”

“What’s up?”

“Nothing much, you?”

“Same.”

This is not a meaningful conversation. If he doesn’t respond, it probably won’t be the end of the world. If he does respond, good luck making the conversation not suck. I’m rooting for you.

Scenario 4: You text your friend at 10 a.m. asking if she wants to get Holtman’s donuts. You’ve been hungrily waiting five minutes for a response. Is it appropriate to double text?

Definitive answer: Are you kidding me? Of course you should send another text! In fact, bombard your friend with texts until she answers. Do it for the donuts.

Scenario 5: You send a nice text to a boy you met at a party last night. Several hours later, you check your phone, and this seemingly awesome guy hasn’t responded. To double text or not to double text?

Definitive answer: No. You are better than that.

In conclusion, the double text is not something that should be overused. As we examined above, there is a time to double text and a time to put the phone down and enjoy your own company.

And remember: donuts are always worth a double text.