What's Your Why

What's Your Why

A company that gives back

18
What's Your Why
Jacqualine Stevens

How many pieces of jewelry do you own? How many of those pieces can you say give back to your favorite charities, locally or internationally? If you are like me and have loads of jewelry and love to give back then I have the perfect company for you! What's Your Why Designs was founded by Jackie Stevens, 22 and a UNC-Wilmington graduate with the help of mentor, Jenny Burnett.

Stevens was working as an intern for Burnett, who runs her own customizable jewelry company, when she decided she wanted to do something more. She played around with the idea of a company that would give back to charity with each purchase. With Burnett's guidance and mentoring a year later Stevens is now running the company and was able to actualize her dream of giving back.

"We could be selling shoelaces, but it's not about that," said Stevens. "It is about selling something we can be proud of."

The company focuses on giving back to four companies in a one year time span. The customer chooses which company they want to donate to at check out.

The 2016 companies are: Appalachia Service Project that is Christian based and dedicated to home repair in the central Appalachia area. Cure S.M.A which stands for Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R) which helps fight in the extraction of child slavery, and then Nourish N.C (which Stevens herself volunteers at) that helps in fighting child hunger in North Carolina.

These charities are mostly for women and children because in the company Stevens was first apart of there were four woman that inspired her to give back.

"[What's your Why] was taking these women's sources of motivation and chose the charities that helped support them," said Stevens.

Once you have donated you can write in your "Why" and any suggestions for the next year charities.

"Your "why" is something every woman has," said Stevens. "it is the source of [your] motivation. The woman has a responsibility of holding the family together and we wanted to provide inspiration and value in their 'why.'"

With each design Stevens makes sure to add a "Y" so the customer can always remember what their personal why is.

Go check out the website here and start your Christmas shopping early. Invest in a company that will invest in you. And do not forget to join in on the conversation and add in what your "Why" is.