What's Wrong With Microsoft

What's Wrong With Microsoft

How they are losing customers on a regular basis

100
What's Wrong With Microsoft
Logo Spike

Microsoft has come out with Windows 10 and their own AI called Cortana. In order to get Windows 10 each user needs to run a series of updates. The catch with Windows 10 though is within their updates. When windows pushes out a new operating system, like most tech updates, there is a series of updates that the computer has to undergo in order to successfully allow the computer to read the new software. Most operating systems will allow the user to select the updates the user wants and install them. Windows is not exception to this. You can go to control panel, then windows updates, and select the updates you want to download and install.

Every now and then it’s good practice to go and manually check for updates. Here in lies the issue with microsoft and windows. Being one of the leading technology companies and the company that, arguably invented the computer as we know it today, one would think that it would know how to update computers the right way.

When using Microsoft updates though it might say Microsoft is up to date, 9 times out of 10 if you click “Check for Updates” there will be updates that appear. This has been an ongoing problem with Windows for the last several years. Normally this doesn’t present a major problem however, as other programs update, they require certain operating software updates which don’t install until the user goes out and check for updates. Not even auto updates will install these updates making it increasingly hard to install new programs. Additionally when you manually check for updates, download them, install them, and restart your computer, the user will still not have all the updates.

It’s this fact that drives me insane when it comes to windows. When I click check for updates, the computer should find all the available updates. I understand that you need to sometimes install a certain lower level update before the newer ones, but it should be able to do that automatically. I, the above average user, shouldn’t need to go out and find 10 rounds of updates to install one program. As someone who works in IT it drags out my job by 3 times as much when I have to do all these rounds of updates. To the average person this can cause immense frustration when they don’t know how to or that they even need to manually install updates.

While Windows has it’s advantages over Apple software, issues like these cause users frustration, and develop feelings of malice. Overall I think Microsoft should fix this known bug as well as the known issues with internet explorer. If they offered more consumer based tools, like Apple does, than they wouldn’t have as many people turning to Apple products as they have been.