What's Up With The New York Attitude, And How Do I Get One?

Why are New Yorkers always rude?
5966

If you've walked the streets of the city, or if you've lived in New York, then I'm sure you've noticed that people are "rude." Yes, some people are rude, but the majority of what you see/are vibing is just the "New York attitude."

One of the first things you may notice from a New Yorker is their resting b*tch face, or RBF.

Even if you are the type of person who naturally doesn't have a RBF, you will soon develop one once living in New York. It will especially be active while commuting on the sidewalks or the subway.

But don't be deceived! You will be able to tell who is actually angry and who is just trying to cross the street, and will also develop the skills of maneuvering through the crowd.

If you haven't noticed already, the pace of things is a lot quicker.

Picking up the pace of walking is one thing to adjust to, but the over all state of mind of New Yorkers are quicker pace too. Punctuality is key in the city. You need X amount of time for transportation whether it be subway, cab, bike, bus, or walking. You need X amount of time TO EAT, which is why $1 pizza is amazing and in fact a thing. Also, the lines for ANY Starbucks will be at least this long, and also for their bathrooms.

Notice this man eating pizza who looks like he's taking a break before he needs to get where he needs to be (also this pizza is amazing):

It may sound like people are complaining, and sometimes they are, but that's just the way New Yorkers explain things.

Don't get me wrong, everyone a part of this city loves it and takes pride just like any other city, but boy do we complain. Everything is too expensive, the streets and subways are really dirty and smelly, when people don't know how to walk right or are in your way, tourists, and the G train. New Yorkers easily bond when they complain about the same thing.

We're really good at ignoring each other.

New York is a crowded place, and sometimes you'll want to take a break from all the fast pace and just sit. You know that if you want to stop for a moment you should be out of anybody's way. And if you're by yourself, you don't want to be bothered. There's a mutual understanding of, you don't bother me I won't bother you.

Waiting for what seems to be a subway that will never come:

Not to mention avoiding people in Midtown trying to get you on one of these.

New Yorkers are actually nice.

Even with all this exterior, New Yorkers are still human beings and have passion. I've heard this from my mother a thousand times, "If you make it in New York, you can make it anywhere." This phrase means a lot, especially to her since she is from out of the country, but this goes to anyone who comes to New York and aren't natives. The best feeling is being able to say you've accomplished something in this city, to call yourself a New Yorker, and to know the hard work that is put into this city.

"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere, It's up to you, New York, New York!"