What's Up With UP Magazine?

What's Up With UP Magazine?

The inside scoop on Miami's own fashion magazine.

234
What's Up With UP Magazine?
UP Magazine // Facebook

Curious about what UP Magazine at Miami University is all about? I had an exclusive meeting with one of its student creators, Lizzie Carter, and she told me the basics of what UP truly is. There are so many great opportunities to get involved at Miami, no matter what your taste is! Having our own magazine right here on campus is awesome, and I can't wait to continue to watch this magazine flourish around Miami.

What is UP?

UP Magazine is a blog that contains content about everyday living, wellness, and music, as well as trends and events going on around campus. The magazine mostly produces editorials about issues on campus or more personal stories about students, but also features styles by students to fit the story. Lizzie said that some of the editorials look similar to something out of Teen Vogue!

Who writes for UP?

UP Magazine has been completely student-run since 2010! You can apply online at the beginning of each semester. This year, UP hit their maximum amount of applications that they have ever received, so the competition was tough! There are 15 student "bloggers" on Miami's campus along with an executive team. Anyone is welcome to apply; it is not just open to journalism or creative writing majors!

How often do the blogs go out?

Each blogger has the goal of one article a week. Although they come up with multiple articles a week for the blog, there are only three magazines that come out during an academic year. Be on the lookout for the weekly posts and the release of the magazines!

Where does this take place?

The bloggers for UP can create their blogs straight from their laptops, wherever they want. However, the whole team meets once every two months to get updated on how the issue is going, promote new ideas, etc. After the release of a magazine, the crew gets together dressed in their best and rents out a space for them to celebrate their success and hard work!

UP Spotlight

I met with my good friend Lizzie Carter to discuss her role at UP. Lizzie is a sophomore at Miami, and she double majors in strategic communications and fashion entrepreneurship. What's her favorite part about writing for UP?

"I love being involved with this group of people because of how creative it allows me to be while still staying on my college campus," she said. "I can explore things in fashion that happen here or in the real world and talk about it in an online space full of other creative individual."

Lizzie has been writing for the magazine for about a year now, and she encourages everyone to reach out to UP and consider writing for them!

Senior Saifoulaye Bah, has been a model for UP Magazine for about a year and a half now. Sofa has many friends who are involved with UP and he loves to model for them whenever he can fit it into his schedule!

UP Magazine is a great way to get involved on campus at Miami University. The students who put the work in to make this magazine the best it can be are truly amazing at what they do! It's evident that the people behind the scenes of UP really care about the magazine. Be on the lookout for the weekly articles and eventually, the magazines!