Why Everyone Should Check Out Downtown Santa Cruz Nightlife

A mix of people heading to down town Santa Cruz.

1104
Noemi Medina

Students are studying for finals and the stress makes many seek entertainment during the weekend. The spring weather and the crisp nights are the ideal time for young adults to head to the bars and lounges. We have both young professionals and students socializing at these places. It's the perfect time to get out there and make new friends. University college students are flocking to these places by night, escaping their dorm life and packed work week schedules. College students and young people are heading to bars downtown making the nightlife unstoppable.

These crowds are a mix of locals and visitors coming here to study at the recognized University of Santa Cruz. Many foreign students come to live in the area and add to the diversity of the culture. There are typical crowds of people that show up weekend after weekend. When the nightlife is in full swing and as the bar scene gets crowded, you can identify some common types of groups that come through.

Downtown Santa Cruz is a popular hot spot visited by locals and visitors from the surrounding regions of San Jose and Watsonville, California. We see various personalities and sets of people coming to the bars elbowing their way through to get a drink. This is the bar scene in one particular bar and the variety of individuals it attracts. The good thing is that the bartenders haven't changed much over the years and know their stuff.

These are some of the typical groups spotted at the bar. There are the two best guy friends sitting on the sidelines engaging in a conversation at a small table. Next, we have the college roommates who stick together and huddle at the center of the room complimenting each other. Then next is the family members that eat dinner together and reserve the big table at the end of the room.

Next, we have the fraternity guys betting who will buy the next round of drinks. Then there are the out of towners who recently moved to the area and are sitting right at the center of the bar making small talk with anyone that passes by. Then come the large, but usual software techies coming from over the hill looking for a change of scenery. Then, you hear a large crowd singing because there is always a birthday club bar hopping it.

Not everyone is at the bar. There are couples having a romantic dinner while everyone is mingling. Next, the lonesome guys who just hang out and eat dinner by themselves comfortably. Then there is the one girl and boys group— surrounded by best buddies. These are some of the groups that enter the bar scene.

The popular hot spots to go downtown for dance and drinking are Motiv, the Catalyst, Red Restaurant and Bar, and the Blue Lagoon. If you want something low key then you can head over to the 515 Kitchen & Cocktails which have quality drinks and food.

There are a variety of ethnicities mingling and this attracts many to Santa Cruz, because of its inviting beach environment and diversity of communities that gather downtown. People can easily walk and walk from bar to bar and there are many restaurants open late, especially those pizza places. It is better to get there early to avoid the fees and if you show your Santa Cruz University ID, you can get a free admission to many bars and clubs.

This is a relaxing atmosphere that attracts a wide range of crowds. Whether you come with a few or many companions, you cannot go wrong with heading downtown and experiencing the culture that Santa Cruz has to offer. There is something for everyone's taste.