What's The Difference?

What's The Difference?

Stop the hate already.

16
What's The Difference?

We live in a very judgmental world. Women and men have to look, act and feel a certain way in order to be accepted by the general public without any criticism. Everyone is very close-minded and it leads to some dire and even life-threatening circumstances. That’s why I ask, what’s the difference?

What truly is the difference between thin and fat, gay and straight, black and white, or men and women? I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions about certain people based on their personalities or actions but why must there be such harsh judgment without any insight on a person or a group of people? It is a completely separate situation if you have a specific reason to feel something for someone. Today, some people have to alter who they really are out of the fear of getting punished for it mentally, emotionally, or physically. We hear horror stories about suicides, murders, and self-harm to those who cannot stand who they are. Ultimately, it is absolutely terrible and even though I don’t believe everyone willing to change their views, I wish they would ask themselves why they feel this way and if they can come up with a realistic difference between these groups of people. I do not mean the exterior appearance or the people they choose to love; I mean the true differences that make them seem “unworthy” in their eyes.

Another question I always ask myself when I see news about people not being able to live the life they want is, “Who cares?” Why should you care if someone is black, white, homosexual, transgender or disabled? Why must there be so much constant hatred in this world that does not allow these types of people to be the most truthful versions of themselves? It’s shocking that, even today, people take out their opinions on those who do not fit the “social norm.” Who came up with these rules and how do we change them? If they are not harming your day to day life in anyway then let them live the way that makes them the happiest.

As an ordinary girl living in today’s world, I have seen and heard some unpleasant things about those who are seen as “different.” However, I have always kept an open mind and I don’t plan on changing that unless I see a reason to. The reason this world is so beautiful is because of the diverse people it carries and its time they stop being punished. I am not trying to change anyone’s values or perspectives and I know a lot of people will not agree with what I am saying. I just want them to think about what has caused them to feel the way they do and where that negativity comes from. We’re all in this together.

Let people be happy. Let them live they life they want to live. They only get one.