What's Aleppo?
Politics

What's Aleppo?

Here's what you can you do about it right now.

3
What's Aleppo?
Daily Mail

In case you haven’t heard in the news lately, Aleppo has yet again taken a blow caused by what can now only be considered a proxy-war. The city of Aleppo, once Syria’s financial hub, is a key location affected by the war and a centre for refugees suffering from severe acts of violence at the hands of President Bashar al-Assad’s forces and the rebels against his government, whether directly or otherwise. Some half a million Syrians have been killed since the war began in 2012, and the numbers continue to grow to the point where the UN has reported no official body count exists, there being too many to account for.

On December 15, the Syrian Army, with Russian aid, succeeded in liberating the city and its residents from occupation. Evacuations have commenced, as have the distribution of resources, and the city is now fully under governmental control. However these measures have recently been halted, as the ceasefire has been disrespected, leaving tens of thousands of civilians still stuck. Resources are dwindling and conditions are getting worse. Now you may be asking yourself, but what it is that I can do? You may find, there is in fact quite a lot you can do.

Possibly the best ways in terms of urgency is to donate to the following:

• Doctors Without Borders
  • International Rescue Committee
  • Direct Relief
  • White Helmets
  • Syria Relief

As a more regional solutions, for instance as a US citizen, you can also call upon your representative or even straight to the White House and ask what actions they are taking to aid the situation. This is important as the higher number of citizens demand action in relation to the situation, the more urgent it is for the government to do something, or at least to respond.

If any of these measures seem out of reach, even sharing a post on social media to raise awareness or learning about what is actually happening goes a long way. Just remember, the worst thing you can do about a situation is nothing.