Whatever Happened to...The Flip Phone?

Whatever Happened to...The Flip Phone?

368
Whatever Happened to...The Flip Phone?

Flip phones hit the scene in a big way with the release of the Motorola Razr in 2004. Everyone who was anyone had the coolest flip phone to ever hit the scene. The phone came in black, silver, or pink. The pink was definitely a favorite. I had so many friends who had the pink razr phone and I was so jealous.

Flip phones reigned supreme for a good while before phones such as the T-Mobile Sidekick or the LG En-V came into being. These phones with a slide-out or flip-open keyboard made the flip phone old news. The keyboard made texting more efficient and faster than clicking through to find the letter you need.

The advent of the Apple iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy made the Sidekick and the En-V obsolete. These devices were created to keep us more conneted and make life easier.

However, I feel like these newer phones have created a disconnect in society. When you owned a flip phone you had to watch how many texts you sent, how long your phone calls were, and how many pictures you took. Otherwise you would go over your plan and pay tons of fees. But that made us use them less. We used them to keep in contact, yes. But we would also pick up the house phone when we were at home and call a friend. We would go up to people's doors and knock when we got there to pick them up. Now we send a text message. I understand that it is convenient, but it is also a little sad. I feel like a lot of times we are not living in the moment, but living to document the moment.

It was an easier time with the flip phone. When we went out, we paid attention to each other and what was happening. We recorded our own ringtones and illegally downloaded backgrounds. It was a great time to be alive, and if you had the Motorola Razr you were destined for popularity.

Honestly, I still own a flip phone. I feel like my life is better for it. My phone lasts for years and years without breaking. My first phone was a flip phone and I owned it for 5 years before purchasing another flip phone. I dropped that phone from the top of the bleachers onto the concrete and the only thing that happened to it was the battery cover popping off. The screen didn't break. The buttons alI worked. I don't have to mess with a plan. I use pre-paid. For me, it makes sense to have a flip phone.

So whatever happened to flip phones? They became a starter phone for a while. Nowadays, they can still be purchased as a pre-paid phone or with a plan. I feel like they would be a great starter phone for youth. Instead of buying them the newest iPhone or Galaxy, they should get a flip phone. There are three big reasons why: 1) Flip phones are easier to maintain and hard to break. 2) It will make them aware of how much it costs to own a phone, especially if they have to pay for it. 3)They should have the satisfaction of slamming the phone shut when they have an arguement on the phone. It is truly one of life's joys.

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ghosts-of-chri...