What Your Summer Job Says About You

What Your Summer Job Says About You

Summer, also known as, "lets see how much money we can make in three months."
23

Summer jobs, the best and worst parts of your summer "vacation." They come in a multitude of flavors and varieties. Some of us have more work experience than others, but that does not exclude us from the stereotypes.

1. Camp Counselor and/or Babysitter

Yes, these are in the same category. One reason being, both positions insinuate you prefer working with children (very honorable) and that you, therefore, have an extreme amount of patience. I look up to you because this job guarantees you will be spit on, vomited on, and screamed at by these small demons we call children. You are doing something most parents don't even want to do, watch their children. This job also may mean that your parents decided they were going to stop paying for your gas and signed you up down at the local campground. Either way, you are responsible for little lives and that's pretty cool.

2. Cashier

Ah, the glorious and rewarding job of a "retail associate." This job is the job of all jobs. (I may be a little biased.) You show up for shifts that either last two minutes or two months. Your associates always seem to catch the flu in July and never seem to be able to cover any shift, including their own. This job says that you are a "take no crap" person. You can tell that soccer mom that her grapes aren't on sale confidently and watch her walk away toward your manager, without a second glance. You probably hate your job and dread wasting the gas to go there. Also, you're probably not a business major.

3. Waiter/Waitress

This is not for my fast-food workers, you'll get your spot. This is for the late night boys and girls that don't make minimum wage or tips. You are a great person. You get up and go to work knowing that you are going to have that one person that thinks "tipping isn't necessary" and continue to smile and wait on them. My personal favorite has to be the people that think they are "funny" for leaving a tip in all pennies. Guess what? You're not, you're rude and I want to punch you. Your job says that you are a patient person, even when you don't want to be.

4. Fast-food Workers

Here we go. Now if I am being completely honest, I don't know that much about your job. Other than I assume it can be stressful and annoying. Whether you work in a mall, or in a building dedicated to your eatery, I applaud you. You have the cashier's job and you have to make food sometimes, too. You get the annoying kids that want the dinosaur toy instead of the race car and their moms that want to know "how much sugar is in one chicken nugget." Your job says you don't really want to be here, but you're doing what you have to do.

5. Lifeguard

You literally just signed up to be hot and sweaty all summer long. You paid to get certified. You paid to get certified to watch little kids (and some adults) jump off the edge of the pool and potentially drown. You're there to make sure that doesn't happen. That's a pretty banging job. Plus, free pool access? That's definitely a bonus. Your job says you care about other people but you also like to get a little bronzey glow to with it.

I definitely left out a few, but you don't need an opinion of your job. You work hard at what you do. So, whether it's a job you've had forever or one you've just started, know what you are doing is important to someone.